Another Newbie trying to be Clark Griswald

remoteutah

Full time elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
remoteutah said:
I got my ecg-p2 in today. I ordered the "board only" version since I have several boxes to mount it on. But I guess with the case version, you get all of the plug-in screw connectors. Any idea where I can find the 4pin and 2 pin plug-in connectors here in USA. I would look for them here in town, but this part of Colorado is a bit in the backwater... if ya know what I mean!

The plug in connectors come with the board even without the case, so if you didnt recieve the plug in connectors then i would send Ed from J1SYS an email as it should have been included

Emailed Ed today. He forgot them and will send on Monday. So no tinkering this weekend. :'(

remoteutah

Full time elf
Bill Ellick said:
Welcome to ACL remoteutah.
I too am a "newbie" with the RGB stuff and surprised by your list for your display!
When did you sneak in and copy my worksheet for what I was thinking of using on my display? LOL
Pretty scary as you have copied my "want list" pretty close. I am still up in the air about what to use for my pixel tree as to whether to go 5 volt or 12 volt but am leaning more towards 12 volt as I learn more about this stuff. It does appear that the "majority of folks" do use the 12 volt strip like Fast Eddy referenced for their trees due to power concerns and distance requirements for 12 v over the 5 v stuff.
I currently use LOR as my display is all LEDs at this point but I did play with LSP when it first came out and have been toying with it lately as it is a good program for pixel stuff. I am seriously thinking of buying an upgrade and see how it is working now since it is a very good program for the most part. Like any, it just needs some work but then again don't they all?
I want to get a pixel tree up this year and may upgrade my mini trees to RGB or else make some RGB arches but only time and money will tell!
Another program I downloaded the other day and have just started to look at is the HLS software from Hinkle. This looks to be one of the hidden jems in programs for pixels and has a lot of power to it. You might want to take a look at it as well.
Ask away in this forum. You will not find a better group of dedicated crazy people anywhere else who love this hobby! We may be all broke and tearing our hair out but we certainly do have fun getting smiles on the faces with this stuff!
Bill

Bill - Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have modified my planned setup slightly and am using more ECG-p2's rather than the ECG-P12R. That way I can modular-ize things more to coincide with my power requirements. And it make the whole setup more flexible. I am using old computer power supplies as my DC power sources, since they have 5 & 12 v.

I guess I have a question that will be answered by myself in about 2 weeks (when strips & modules arrive). Can I power a 5M - 5V - 30led/m with 30ws2811/m from one end (150 pixels total)? or will I have to cut in and inject power every 50 - 100 pixels?

If I can light the whole strip by powering one (or both) ends, then I am going 5V for my pixel tree. There does not seem to be too much brightness difference and the power difference is significant. I read this article on the forums: [SIZE=78%]http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2595.0.html[/SIZE]

I downloaded HLS and have been trying to play with it. A bit confusing. Have watched a few of the instructional videos, but the order to watch them in is confusing and leaves gaps. And without connectors for my controller and pixels, it is kinda pointless to play with. Tried to get a preview going but am having trouble with that. Think I need a controller at least plugged in. Will play more and let ya know.

bbayjohn

Senior elf