Any success with free DMX floodlights given away at Brisbane mini this year?

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
Hi,
Has anyone had success with xLights controlling the DMX floodlights given away at the Brisbane mini this year.
So far, I can only get it to respond to sound or demo mode, when it continues sweeping ad infinitum.

I am using a Pixlite16 MkII for my controller.

Cheers for any info

Mark_M

Annoying Elf

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
I'm have no idea about PixiLite controllers but according to the Advatek lights website it supports DMX.
xLights definitely supports DMX fixtures so you'll need to look around at how to set up on the controllers interface.

http://www.advateklights.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/10/PixLite-16-User-Manual-V1.2.pdf
Page 7/8 shows what connections on the ethernet out port correspond to a 3 pin DMX connector.

Thanks Mark,

Yes, I've read the Pixlite manual about connecting DMX devices (pg 15-16), I just can't get any sense out of the device to sweep, pan or set a particular colour.
It is not responding to any data sent to the device.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Sounds like you haven't set up the DMX fixture.
If you can please include a model.

Most lights will have a display and 4 buttons.
Press menu til numbers between 1-512 appear, use up/down buttons to enter your desired start address and enter to save. Then in the pixlite controller have the fixtures start address to what you just set.

If it has dip switches then it'll be best for you to send a model, dip switches aren't always the same between manufacturers.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
What Mark said :)

What sort of DMX fixture are they?

If it's a brand name DMX fixture you can use the download feature on the Layout tab to find the relevant device.
Else create a new DMX fixture of the style required and with relevant number of channels.
Then set the channel number against each option (you can obtain this information from the manual that came with the item)
Example for a RGB moving head fixture:
Pan - 1
Tilt - 2
Red - 3
Blue - 4
Green - 5
etc
Set pan and tilt limits as appropriate

Your DMX fixture may have a channel for brightness though it's often not called that.
My DMX moving heads have a Total Function Control channel as follows:
0-8 off
8-135 dimming
135-240 strobe
240-255 switch (actually = on)
So in order for the leds to light up fully on I have to set the function channel (6) to 255, then I can vary brightness of individual colours by setting channels 3, 4, 5 from 0-255 as required.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
you can get a cheap USB - DMX controller from @AAH usb-dmx and a free DMX tester from @David_AVD da-tester I use these for stand alone testing of DMX devices. i really should get commission off these guys :)

You never did say what model the dmx fixtures are and if you have a manual for them, honestly if it's dmx it can be made to work in xlights without too much effort

Reactions: AAH

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
you can get a cheap USB - DMX controller from @AAH usb-dmx and a free DMX tester from @David_AVD da-tester I use these for stand alone testing of DMX devices. i really should get commission off these guys :)

You never did say what model the dmx fixtures are and if you have a manual for them, honestly if it's dmx it can be made to work in xlights without too much effort
I keep getting tagged every day by this OzAz guy. Glad that @ryanschristmaslights has that notification stuff in the new ACL build. I can see why and where he's been tagging me. :D

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf

Thanks for the info, OzAz.
There is no identification anywhere on the floodlamp, even on the pcb, just the 10 dip switches.

I'll look into what you mentioned though.