Anybody bought these?

Domestos

Apprentice elf
Screenshot_20201007-102208_Amazon Shopping.jpgHey, not sure if anybody baught these before, but the price seems pretty decent... 500 12V bullet pixels for AU$49 including shipping.

Has anybody baught these before, if so how is the quality?

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I see $49 going in the rubbish.
If you're adventurous you can try them, but I'd buy ones of good quality from reputable sellers.

mikey

New elf
i just ordered a set for laughs to see how they are. seems very cheap though

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
They are probably ok, the wires will be thinner, and probably shorter between pixels than the usual. This is OK for most props and if not going long distance between pixel and controller.

Can't be any worse than a certain "reputable seller" whose pixels caught fire last year. :D

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
What gauge is the wire? What distance between the pixels?
Cheaper isn't always better, but just take these things into consideration. If wire is too thin, more power injection (and therefore more cost to implement) may be required. Same goes if you need to add extra wire if the pixel distance is too small for some pre-made props.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Is the $49 correct? Based on what I know of those on Amazon the 500 piece cost should be in the $130 to $140 range. Is it possible to paste a link to Amazon's page?

Getting started some months back I purchased a 50 pixel Rextin WS2811 string, don't remember if it was 5v or 12v. They all lit. The connectors are in my opinion 'cheesy' for a pixel string. The connectors are the JS type I believe, similar to what one usually finds on a pixel strip. Wire gauge is 20AWG and pixel spacing is 3 inch give or take a bit. I have not yet used them but have no reason not to. I expect voltage drop in the string to be higher than others I have because of the 20AWG wire. I will not know until I use them but the 3 inch spacing might be a problem too. Another point to be aware of is the 12 volt pixels will almost certainly be the resistor type.

Tom Zheng

Apprentice elf
Definitely this is not correct price on amazon.com now.I just checked the price is usd 136.4 for 12v 500nodes.

Domestos

Apprentice elf
Its Auzie Amazon. Not US. I bought it, $49 got debited from my account, and will be using it for snowflakes. Its 1/10th the price compared to Ray's lights, so I am not expecting them to be great or even half way decent. But for my purpose they "should" be fine.
@darylc thanks for posting the link.

whatthej

New elf
So buy 5 of these right while it's cheap? I mean the other stuff that this guy sells is priced quite dearly.

Amazon sometimes has some faulty pricing algorithms. I once was eyeing a $40 microphone, which I saw discounted to $30. I tried to buy it but there was a fault in the backend that didn't allow it to be shipped to anywhere. I lodged an Amazon ticket and 3 different teams looked at it over the course of 1 month. But every week that this problem existed, the price just automatically slashed itself. By the time someone fixed it, I was the first person to be informed of the fix and I was able to buy it at $7 (and then minus a $5 'sorry for the inconvenience' voucher). After I bought it the algos brought the price up to $60. It's now back at $37

mikey

New elf
well it seems the item is now not available. seems they caught on to the error

Last edited:

Domestos

Apprentice elf
Yeah, the plot thickens. I got a "sorry we suck" response from the seller who advised the price was for 50 pixels, not 500. Which is a rip-off.

So I suppose I will be complaining to Amazon. Dont think much will come from it, but it is worth a try.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
5v version now $169!! Let's see if I get product or a refund...

mikey

New elf
i ordered 2, i was tempted to get a few more for the sake of it but decided $98 was enough of a risk

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
If you took screen shots of advert and purchase you should either get all 500 or get a refund, I would think.