Anyone in Perth willing to share their knowledge?

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
This will be a steep learning curve seevers. the Pixlite 4 is a 4 Output controller, it will output 16 universes of channels each universe being 512 channels.That's 8192 channels. MIND BLOWN. :eek:

i13

Dedicated elf
The PixLite 4 allows you to control up to 8160 pixel channels because each of its 4 outputs can have up to 2040 channels. This is 680 pixels per output because each pixel uses 3 channels - one each for the red, green and blue colours within it. On top of this the PixLite 4 has a single DMX512 output which will come in handy if you want to run non-pixel items.

The way it works is the PixLite 4 sends out data to the pixels which are always powered. This data tells the first pixel when to turn on and it passes the remaining data on to the next pixel and the next one etc. This is how the pixel lights are individually controlled. cdbrown did not use all of the 680 supported pixels in the first display item so he ran the data cable, the negative and possibly the clock cable depending on pixel type from the first item to the next. You can have up to 680 pixels per output but they can be spread across multiple display items.

The only real problem I could see with asking questions here is that some of the very knowledgeable forum members don't post in this section of the forum. Superman is a moderator so it looks as though this is ok. If you start a thread in the wrong section by mistake, the moderators just move it.

sveevers

New elf
Okay, it's starting to make a bit more sense now. So essentially, using the software, you can 'map' a particular pixel to any display item. For instance you can specify that the first 50 pixels are 'Item 1' and the next 50 are 'Item 2'? So presumably you just run some sort of interconnect between each item on a single output.

I've read the 101 with regard to power injection and understand that you need to inject power roughly every 50 pixels and understand the cable requirements to do this but I can see anywhere how the injection is run in practice. ie. Do you run the injection cable all the way along the strip/string and just connect in approx every 50 pixels?

scamper

Dedicated elf
sveevers said:
I've read the 101 with regard to power injection and understand that you need to inject power roughly every 50 pixels and understand the cable requirements to do this but I can see anywhere how the injection is run in practice. ie. Do you run the injection cable all the way along the strip/string and just connect in approx every 50 pixels?

In theory that is what you do. In practice you inject at the most appropriate place.
ie. If you have a tree that zig zags the strings up and down, then try to inject at the bottom to save wiring and cable.
If the tree is too long and you need to inject at the top, then run 1 large power wire up to the top and split to inject all from the 1 wire.
As you go along you will find easy ways to do things but first you need to start somewhere.

i13

Dedicated elf
You are correct about the layout of multiple items. Exactly how this is set up depends on which software you choose but yes that is how the hardware is set up.

You can run the injection cable that way if it is thick enough. The problem is that voltage drop occurs within a long thin cable and this reduces the effectiveness of the power injection. If you decide that you want to have a different power supply part way along the string of pixels, you need to cut the positive line in the string of pixels half way between each power supply. If you have two elements on the same controller output and you want them to each have their own power supply then the connection between them is just the negative and data lines plus the clock wire if it exists on your chosen pixel type. This connection can only be so long before you need a null pixel.

The 50 pixel rule is a VERY rough guideline and it only applies to strings, not strips.

kane

Dedicated elf
Hi Sveevers

You're obviously on the other side of the city from myself, but if you are up near Trigg at any time, I'm more than happy to run through my display with you..

I've been doing mine for the last 5 years, but have gotten very busy with other things the last couple of years, so I just re-use the whole display each year without anything new. I wish I had more time to add more to the display or do new songs, but oh well - the punters don't seem to care!

I'm even late getting setup - was away the first 3 weekends of November so only just started on the weekend just gone - will get the rest done this weekend to go-live on Sunday night.

Cheers

Kane

sveevers

New elf
Hi Kane, thanks for the offer. I might actually be up Quinns Rock way over the weekend so I might see if I can come past on Sunday. How do I find your address?

kane

Dedicated elf
No worries - address is on the website linked in my footer.

Depending on how things go on Sunday, I might be frantically running around sorting out issues, but hopefully all will be good and I'll just be sitting back, so can run through a few of the things with you.

Bird

LOR user
A little slow but
Welcome.gif

to ACL Steve