Attaching Conduit to Roof

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Here's how I attach my RGB strip to the roof.
Copy%20of%20IMG_0133%20%28WinCE%29.jpg

All my RGB strip on the roof is attached to conduit with Black cable ties. This keeps the strip nice and straight and saves lots of time on installation,storage and pulling down.
IMG_0134%20%28WinCE%29.jpg

To attach the conduit and RGB strip to the roof I use Cable tie mounts.These are available in bulk all over eBay They come with a double sided tape attached to the back, But this doesn't last too long.
I remove the tape and use Translucent Selleys roof and gutter Silicone to stick it onto the roof surface.
The cable tie mounts are left on my roof all year round.

IMG_0137%20%28WinCE%29.jpg

Be Sure to clean and dry the roof surface before you attach Silicone to it. My roof is old and has oxidized a bit and the silicone woudn't stick.
I prepared the surfaces where the tabs were to be mounted a couple hours before by cleaning it with some metho and let it to dry,then the tabs where installed.

superman_03%20%28Custom%29.gif

Last piece of Advice, Be carefull.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This is exactly what i do on my roof as well steve. I also do this on the gutters of my house. This makes setiing up and pulling down a very easy task and ensures that the lines are kept nice and straight.
It is also easy to store the conduit lenghts after Christmas as they just stack on each other. Ive had my cable tie holders on my roof for 2 years with no deteriation. Make sure you use the black UV protected ones

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
Thanks Steve. I've been trying to find out the best way to get stuff on the roof, in particular on the ridge cap so that it can be seen from more than one angle.
Do you use 20 or 25mm conduit? How far apart have you spaced the mounts?

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
pipersmall said:
Thanks Steve. I've been trying to find out the best way to get stuff on the roof, in particular on the ridge cap so that it can be seen from more than one angle.
Do you use 20 or 25mm conduit? How far apart have you spaced the mounts?

attaching it this way does help to face the strip forward.
I use 25mm, cos i use heaps of that for work.
i space the mounts at every 5 caps

grahami2006

Full time elf
I know I am only new but I am going to try a product called "Handy Magnet" as I have a colourbond roof. Have one piece at home now and I have trouble geeting it off the garage panel.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
grahami2006 said:
I know I am only new but I am going to try a product called "Handy Magnet" as I have a colourbond roof. Have one piece at home now and I have trouble geeting it off the garage panel.
I used cheap 10x10mm neodemium magnets off ebay last year. They were fine on the normal roof pitch, with spacing every meter or so. On vertical faces, more were needed. They did start to rust, so I wrapped a layer of electrical tape around them too. I'm going to get slightly bigger/stronger ones for this year.
Magnets out of Hard Drives are also excellent, they can support long runs of fairy lights no worries too.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Reviving an old topic....

I too am using cable tie mounts to stick conduit to roofing.

Im using Wurth KD Bond & Seal (black) to stick em down :)

Wurth_Bond_and_Seal_z_zpsc937fa6e.jpg

General manager of Wurth is my neighbour/friend :)

elvatrdude

One can never have too many hobbies.....
Any good industrial construction adhesive like Loktite PL400, will work fine. I've had this on my concrete tile roof for over 10 years. Another benefit: doesn't need any special prep before application. Kevin