Basic setup diagram, with power injection example

TerryK

Retired Elf
To add a bit to what Pavle and i13 mentioned:

- what is meant by "drive level"?
Judging by Forum Threads, most individuals run their displays in the 30% range. I had a small high pixel density Easter display up this year and it was so bright I had it at 20%; and still quite viewable from 30 meters distance. While a personal decision on my part, I design to a 70/80 % drive level.

- If I'm housing the Power Supply and Controller in the same enclosure, what wire AWG would be recommended through to each string, if I'm running pixels at 40% brightness:
-- Strings B and C will be up to 3-4 meters away from the Controller
-- String A will be within 2 meters away from the Controller / Power Supply
Regardless of controller/supply separation, I suggest using a wire AWG size to match to the controller power connector capability. As an example, Falcon F16 and F4 power connectors are rated at 32 Amp so I would suggest 10 AWG. 10 AWG wire is rated at 30 Amp with a 3 conductor cable. To clarify a little; cables are made up of 2 or more conductors or cores and a conductor is made up of 1 or more strands. Cat6 Ethernet cable is a 8 conductor or 8 core cable.
A problem arises if one separates a controller and supply a significant distance. While wire size can be increased to compensate for voltage drop due to distance, a point is reach where the wire size will no longer fit a device's terminals. As to the distances you indicate, 4 Meters isn't very far really. I haven't done any calculations but I think 18 AWG will work. As already mentioned, keep in mind that pixel string wire size as manufactured in China always seems to run small.

- Is it a good rule of thumb to match the lead wire AWG size with the AWG size of the pixel string?
Depends on distance, so 'Rule-of-Thumb'? For shorter distances, likely yes. For longer distances and associated voltage drops, a point is reached where it is not practical, so no.

- Falcon controllers seem out of stock. I could work an Advatek controller into my model?
If the strings are fairly close you might look at a RPi and a 'Hat'. Only 2 ports but with 500 pixels physical placement of the pixels would be more of a problem than the controller.
Falcon's site is indicating stock problems. While Falcon is working on Australian shipping (along with getting the version 4s to market) there are a few US companies that function to ship products out of the US for companies that do not offer international shipping.

Kotche

Apprentice elf
I appreciate the responses, everyone. This back and forth has given me a great degree of confidence that I didn't have before. Still a long way to go, but I think I have a rudimentary understanding of some of the basics now, which is what I was after. I'm not planning anything for this year, but I wanted a head start for next year; maybe get some kit this year for tinkering and increasing my knowledge.

I've registered for the Melb mini and am looking forward to it :)

Kotche

Apprentice elf
Ok. So, I know that this is nothing at all special, but I'm tickled pink and super excited about it.

Wired up my Mean Well PSU, connected the pixel tester, and then ran my first string of pixels. Ever! Such a warming feeling to have even only gone this far - can't wait to learn more!

As an added bonus, managed not electrocute myself or blow up the house, so how cool is that!? :D

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.