Beaglebone Black (BBB) using Falcon Player (FPP)

Daniel1973

Full time elf
CaptainMurdoch said:
From the Troubleshooting Commands page under the helps I you should be able to see if your BBB received an IP address from the DHCP server on your router. At the top of the page there is an "ifconfig" section which lists the IP info for the wired and wireless interfaces. Does it show an IP for eth0?

If it does show an IP for eth0 then look a bit further down the page and you will see a section where it tried to ping GitHub which is where the source is stored at. If you are getting a github error on the other page then there will probably be an error on the troubleshooting page. What error is there, that should tell us why it can't get to the internet.

Captain

This is what is on Command page.

eth0
Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 78:a5:04:f5:36:e6
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:744 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:13 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:71615 (69.9 KiB) TX bytes:4446 (4.3 KiB)
Interrupt:40

and Further down

Internet Access: ping -c 1 github.com

ping: unknown host github.com

Daniel

Daniel1973

Full time elf
Greetings all,

So some success. I turned of wireless on laptop, and ran Ethernet to switch for PC and BBB. I now have the latest version of FPP V 1.7-33-gb93a0c4.

This is where I may be going wrong. When I go back to the way I was, BBB plugged into PC via Ethernet, and 5v from PSU I can not control BBB, yet with the USB into USB Client I can. Is this the way is should be, and I am chasing my tail.

I may be wrong in thinking it like other controllers (ECG-P2) control via Ethernet and Ip address in browser page.

Will xlights just send the required data (in Bridge mode) to the BBB once has assigned input/output setup completed via Ethernet?

Daniel

gerry

Senior elf
Daniel,

My response is a simplistic one and there may be other (none KISS ) ways. I always ensure that everything connects to a router. (everything = controllers , PI/FP , BBB/FP, laptop).
Initially , I have all such stuff connected via ethernet to my home router , which in turn has internet access. Default is DHCP so the outer allocates an IP address to the PI/FP , BBB/PF, controllers etc. I either chose to use that or carefully change to the same static address or one of my choosing. Got everything up and running and learnt how to use everything.

Then I moved everything to a separate network - different subnet , but again that had it own router which allocated IP addresses. Simply changed the subnet value. Did not use a USB cable.

If your BBB is plugged directly to your PC via ethernet , am not sure where it would get its IP address from.

CaptainMurdoch

Apprentice elf
^^^ what he said. :) if you want to connect the BBB straight to your laptop via Ethernet then you need to configure both the laptop and BBB with a static IP on their Ethernet interfaces.

Daniel1973

Full time elf
CaptainMurdoch said:
^^^ what he said. :) if you want to connect the BBB straight to your laptop via Ethernet then you need to configure both the laptop and BBB with a static IP on their Ethernet interfaces.

Novice here, and with a big N. I have tried to do this, within Network settings on BBB ( including radio button for Static) and within the settings on PC, however don't know if I was doing it correct, as the connecting is "unidentified" and I put in the same data on both BBB and connection of BBB on PC. " and no data is passed. Is the a document of vid out there of the data to put in?

Do appreciate all assistance from all.

Daniel

Daniel1973

Full time elf
CaptainMurdoch said:
Did you give the BBB and PC the same up address or different IP's?

Captain Murdoch,

Yes I did. New modem /router later and have success. ( did the same to Raspberry PI)

Thanks to all.

Just confirming, when configuring the BBB, you need to use the micro USB, and the Ethernet cable will (apart from provide internet access for updates) only send and receive lighting commands. ( not like ECG-P2) where as you use Ethernet to log in to config page.

Daniel

Gilrock

Full time elf
I get to the BBB config webpages through the Ethernet connector so no it's not just for lighting commands. I have nothing connected to the micro usb.

Daniel1973

Full time elf
Gilrock said:
I get to the BBB config webpages through the Ethernet connector so no it's not just for lighting commands. I have nothing connected to the micro usb.
Do you have the static in address set up.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Gilrock said:

Same here. Once I had the IP address (Which was done via the micro HDMI out to a screen) I disconnected the MicroUSB and did everything through the network port. Yes mine had an original static IP and the first thing I did (as soon as I could) was change to a static IP on my proper IP range

Daniel1973

Full time elf
So static IP check. 5v dc with no micro USB. Ethernet cable to wifi extender, and can access both FPP on PI and BBB on phone and ipad.

So thanks to all.

Next WiFi dongle configuration, where do I start?