Beaglebone Black (BBB) using Falcon Player (FPP)

Daniel1973

Full time elf
Hello Brains trust.

So I have recently got a Beagle bone Black and a Octoscroller (Thanks again Alan). As per the instructions listed in Falcon Christmas. http://falconchristmas.com/wiki/index.php/Falcon_FPP_BBB#How_to_install_Falcon_Player_onto_BeagleBone_Black
I am using latest version 1.5.

I have had no problem using FPP v1.5 BBB eMMC image: https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/download/1.5/FPP-v1.5-BBB-eMMC.img.zip

And I can connect to the Falcon page with the USD cable connected and IP address . However as I am using this as a bridge for Xlights, I can no communicate via Ethernet cable/router. I am using external 5V and the Ethernet lights are blinking.

Can anyone assist

Thanks

Daniel

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Because the BBB uses DHCP to assign an IP address at startup you will need to connect to the BBB through a router. After you have done this you can set the BBB to a static IP. I am not sure but after it has a static IP you can possibly connect to it directly rather than through a router.

Daniel1973

Full time elf
That is the problem. I have it connected to router and to 5v PSU. I open up a webpage and use IP address and it will not open page or the FPP . It I connect using usb Client ( nr 4 Blue LED) I then have access to Board and IP address opens, there I have access to the FPP program controller

gerry

Senior elf
Hi Daniel,
I did not quite understand your problem.
So u have set the FP to bridge mode, defined the e131 universe in the FP and ticked the e131 output on that screen.
The. When u click output to lights in xlights, what happens ?

Daniel1973

Full time elf
gerry said:
Hi Daniel,
I did not quite understand your problem.
So u have set the FP to bridge mode, defined the e131 universe in the FP and ticked the e131 output on that screen.
The. When u click output to lights in xlights, what happens ?

Gerry,

I am still waiting for my P10's from Ray. I am in the learning phase with BBB and FPP. Noting I can make changes to the FPP using the USB cable, I was wondering if you can do the same with Ethernet(Like other controlers I:E Ip address in browser page. Or does the BBB will only communicate via Ethernet from Xlights.

Thanks

Daniel

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
version 1.7 works fine on the BBB as well..
have you tryed accessing the fpp/bbb via http://fpp
that seems to help people get on track till they set the static ip number

gerry

Senior elf
It will work with 1.5 and 1.6 , however , suggest that you click on the upgrade button and upgrade upto 1.7, so that then you automatically get all the latest updates.

For the FPP instance on the BBB , you configure the same way as an FPP on a PI ie you use the browser, enter the IP address of the BBB. The BBB/FP is normally connected to via Ethernet or wireless from your laptop/computer.

So if you cant connect to the BBB/FP via Ethernet , as Alan posted - are you trying to go directly or via a router ?

The most common configuration (to start and get going) is to use your home network , connect the BBB to it via Ethernet , connect the computer/laptop to it via Ethernet , let the router allocate an ip address (DHCP default) and Bob's your uncle. Then after you get the panels etc configured and working , then u can get more fancy..(that's what I did)

I had posted a document a while ago on how I configured my panels/BBB which may be slightly , but not much out of date and could be used as a reference.

Daniel1973

Full time elf
gerry said:
It will work with 1.5 and 1.6 , however , suggest that you click on the upgrade button and upgrade upto 1.7, so that then you automatically get all the latest updates.

For the FPP instance on the BBB , you configure the same way as an FPP on a PI ie you use the browser, enter the IP address of the BBB. The BBB/FP is normally connected to via Ethernet or wireless from your laptop/computer.

So if you cant connect to the BBB/FP via Ethernet , as Alan posted - are you trying to go directly or via a router ?

The most common configuration (to start and get going) is to use your home network , connect the BBB to it via Ethernet , connect the computer/laptop to it via Ethernet , let the router allocate an ip address (DHCP default) and Bob's your uncle. Then after you get the panels etc configured and working , then u can get more fancy..(that's what I did)

I had posted a document a while ago on how I configured my panels/BBB which may be slightly , but not much out of date and could be used as a reference.

I tried it both ways. I am using a laptop (wifi) and then a Ethernet cable to BBB. The lights are flashing (green and orange) yet when I remove the USB Client cable I can not connect, or access the FPP. I have the IP address that Allows me to change the FPP settings, and when I manually update in Help drop down ( About) it says " Can not access github, unable to pull git updates"

My Issue may be the Network Configuration page? I Have tried to set the addresses as static ( IAW help page)
but no luck. (in command prompt ipconfig- got those values )

Any other suggestions??

Daniel

tooms

12v4life
Can you try it without wireless, just connect your laptop or PC and BBB into the same switch ?

lytnin

Full time elf
Daniel1973 said:
I tried it both ways. I am using a laptop (wifi) and then a Ethernet cable to BBB. .......

Are you using a standard network cable or a crossover cable from the laptop to the BBB?
Do you have your laptop set with a Static IP, that is on the same mask to what you set on the BBB?

I believe direct connection would require a crossover cable and IP's in the same range (eg 192.168.1.xx & 192.168.1.yy)

Dave

Daniel1973

Full time elf
lytnin said:
Daniel1973 said:
I tried it both ways. I am using a laptop (wifi) and then a Ethernet cable to BBB. .......

Are you using a standard network cable or a crossover cable from the laptop to the BBB?
Do you have your laptop set with a Static IP, that is on the same mask to what you set on the BBB?

I believe direct connection would require a crossover cable and IP's in the same range (eg 192.168.1.xx & 192.168.1.yy)

Dave

Not to sure what you mean here.

I tried both Ethernet cables. still no luck.
Daniel

CaptainMurdoch

Apprentice elf
From the Troubleshooting Commands page under the helps I you should be able to see if your BBB received an IP address from the DHCP server on your router. At the top of the page there is an "ifconfig" section which lists the IP info for the wired and wireless interfaces. Does it show an IP for eth0?

If it does show an IP for eth0 then look a bit further down the page and you will see a section where it tried to ping GitHub which is where the source is stored at. If you are getting a github error on the other page then there will probably be an error on the troubleshooting page. What error is there, that should tell us why it can't get to the internet.