Belkin WEMO (Wi-Fi power outlet)

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
My local Bunning's had these WEMO devices on clearance for $30. (RRP $60)
It's a plugin power socket - X10 style - that has Wi-Fi and is designed to connect 'via the cloud' to your iPhone or Android app. http://www.belkin.com/au/p/P-F7C027/

Now be warned, these things have had a bad track history with security exploits / hacks, although these are suppose to be fixed now. Sounds all a bit dodge though!

However the good news is they can be made to work without any internet access if you have suitable a suitable network router.

Technically these units are just controlled via UPNP commands. I'm using this Linux shell script for simple command-line control: http://pastebin.com/rJj0nLwu (The script will also work on Windows machines with CGYWIN installed. If you do this, make sure you also install the additional curl component during installation.)

To initially configure the device with your Wi-Fi settings, you'll need to set it up normally with the Belkin iPhone/Android app. Then once this is done, you can give the device a DHCP reservation & block its IP from connecting to the Internet. :)

Here's hoping these will work out good for complete remote control of all power supplies this year :)

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
That is very cool, but a little expensive compared to the $10 Woolworths Essential digital timers.

They look like this:
2_653_32290_500_500.jpg

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
That's no fun Kaden :)

The thing with using normal timers is there's no flexibility.

Depending on the crowd out the front at closing time, sometimes I mightn't want it to switch off on the dot.

With these 3 x WEMO's, I'll now be able to automate them all from my from my phone or tablet - which will also tie in with my Wi-Fi Interactive Matrix system.

AussieDoug

Full time elf
I thought we used the proram to turn on & off the lights & the idea of the remote switch or timer was just to turn off power. If that's the case thenhave the timer set to turn on an hour before & 2 hours after the show.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Kaden said:
That is very cool, but a little expensive compared to the $10 Woolworths Essential digital timers.

They look like this:
2_653_32290_500_500.jpg

I like these timers very much, i use a few of them. You can set up to 20 timers over a 7 day period, so you can easily manage the show times for each day

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Fasteddy said:
I like these timers very much, i use a few of them. You can set up to 20 timers over a 7 day period, so you can easily manage the show times for each day

I use them as a hard off/on switch.

I have them turn on well before my show starts (say 30 mins) and off at midnight, despite the fact the show ends at 10pm. That way I can run the show longer if I want to, by changing the schedule.

These timers do have a tendency to drift, I have one sitting on my desk at the moment that is 7 mins ahead of time, it has drifted that much over a period of a year or so.

Finally they are cheap enough to run off multiple outlets so PSUs can be located close the the elements they power (and for the incan crew - help balance power load). Not that I have to do any of those on my tiny show :)