Best cutting tool (large sheets with curves)

plasmadrive

Full time elf
Just for yucks the other day I tried my Styrofoam cutter (heated wire) and it worked. I bit slow but it was only a 10W cutter. Assuming I what I have is not PVC and I can safely melt it, I was thinking about perhaps making a hotter wire under tension to cut the stuff.

Another idea was to make templates from wood and use a router with a small straight double fluted bit at high speed... Same as a CNC but by hand.

Not sure which would work better.. but something to play with over the spring time

multicast

Senior elf
heathwithnoteeth said:
coro is polypropylene so its ok... i was thinking of a hot wire cutter (to cut stuff bigger than my laser can handle) now i know it works thats great :)

Most coro is, but not all. There are PVC variations on it.. You can normally tell the difference, PVC stuff is heavier and more brittle.

tooms

12v4life
When I done my candy canes I created a template out of chipboard first, then I was able to just staple the coro to it and get a decent cut with just a basic stanley knife

Ledmechanic

New elf
Hot knife or foam cutter plenty of shapes and different tips are available also referred to as a hot wire cutting tool