Best length for Christmas Light Show Sequence

melrob

New elf
Hi Everyone,

This is my first year of doing music to lights, and I am already up to 11 minutes of mixed music.

What do you think is a good length for a Christmas light show?

I think maybe 10 minutes, my husband thinks 15 mins. Are kids bored by this time (even though there is a good mix of kids songs to keep them interested), or do most people drive by anyhow?

Thanks in advance.

JPB

Full time elf
In my opinion anything above 10 minutes. People will drive off when they have seen enough.
Some people have different shows for alternate nights so that repeat visitors see something new but that is a bit serious for me.
I have either 5 or 6 songs for this year, I cant remember.

Jon

melrob

New elf
Thanks Jon.

I've noticed not many people publish on this forum what music there using for Christmas sequence.

I'm doing a mash up with:
Carol of the bells - Choir version
THX Electrical Failure
Gangham Style
Deck the Halls - Glee
Roar - Katy Perry
Little drummer boy - Pentatonix
Frozen Mash up
Then ...... well haven't worked out the other couple.

All of the above will fit into 15 mins playtime.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I normally do 3 songs during the month. Which go for about 10 mins but when I do my charity night 20th dec this year, I bump it up to as many songs as I can do. Hopefully 30-40 mins. I make it so people get out of the car to see Santa and to donate

kane

Dedicated elf
For each song, I tend to trim it down to between 1 and 2 minutes.. Mainly because I get sick of sequencing it, as it all starts to sound the same.

I've been very slack this year and only sequenced two new songs, and given my lights are exactly the same as last year, I'm just going to run these two in addition to 7 or 8 of my 9 songs from previous years.. Total length would probably be around 15-17 minutes..

Key thing to remember is that you'll be your biggest critic - everyone else will think it's great.. So just do what you want to do!

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
We are using 12 songs. Alterate nights we run 3 songs approx 10 mins then all lights on 10 mins then different 3 songs. 10 mins all on and repeat.. Next night different 6 song in the rotation.. I believe that 10 mins is a good time frame..

damo1271

Full time elf
Kane said:
For each song, I tend to trim it down to between 1 and 2 minutes.. Mainly because I get sick of sequencing it, as it all starts to sound the same.

I agree with Kane. 2 minutes seems to be a good length for sequencing and for listening.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Show length would be determined by the number of people who visit your display and how trraffic moves

For me my show went down to under 4 minutes and this still was too long as i had line ups of 50 cars plus and a 20 to 40 minute wait to see it, so for me i would have to redcue even further to keep traffic flowing

So there is no perfect answer for thisd because everyone bases the length of their show on the factors they believe are most important.

As far a a single sequence length than i believe in 2 minutes or under for a few reasons, 1st is that you want to ensure your files size is not to large and 2nd is that after 2 minutes the song starts to drag on and most songs dont deviate much. If you plan to make a longer sequence than i find music mixes work best as this keeps changing the way you can sequence and the effects that you can use , so it keeps the sequence exciting the whole way through.

MarcD

Full time elf
Ours runs for about 15 minutes. Each song is only two to three minutes. It includes mainly kids songs like Hi-5, Wiggles etc. The show starts with a brief intro sequence which alternates between the Christmas Vacation light up sequence or the countdown from the beginning of Thunderbirds. We have included Gangnam Style, which is always popular, but this year we're hoping to swap it out for All About that Bass.

cass2008

New elf
Ours is gradually getting longer.
Shows runs for 2 hours each night. 1st year 20min loop, 2nd year 40mins, 3rd year 1hour and this year looking to add another 10 mins. Because we have speakers in the front yard and can often hear it from inside, hearing the same same so much can get a bit annoying some nights which is why some songs only get played once a night (well that's our goal)

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Roughly 30-40 min loop here. There's no rules though, go for as long as you want really. The die hard fans will stick around for the whole show, or come back later to hopefully catch some different sequences

Katekate

Senior elf
I have been planning on around 30 minutes of sequences, with a mix of modern stuff and some more traditional stuff. I dug up some nice versions of traditional songs on Bandcamp.

I still havent done all the sequences, so we will see how long it really ends up being :D

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Thanks Jon.

I've noticed not many people publish on this forum what music there using for Christmas sequence.

I'm doing a mash up with:
Carol of the bells - Choir version
THX Electrical Failure
Gangham Style
Deck the Halls - Glee
Roar - Katy Perry
Little drummer boy - Pentatonix
Frozen Mash up
Then ...... well haven't worked out the other couple.

All of the above will fit into 15 mins playtime.

I would love to see how you are putting together the mash up