Best phone camera for filming display.

Stephan

New elf
Hi all, I'm getting a new phone and was wondering what proven phone camera to get that will capture the lights the best. Any sugestions , iPhone 11, Samsung S10, Huawei P30 or other?

Cranzy

Full time elf
Hi all, I'm getting a new phone and was wondering what proven phone camera to get that will capture the lights the best. Any sugestions , iPhone 11, Samsung S10, Huawei P30 or other?
You should be able to get good footage with the latest phones as most have 4k video recording capabilities. Buy a tripod for a phone on ebay.

Stephan

New elf
thanks guys, DSLR naturally but where are all the phone buffs? I do remember somebody posting a clip filmed with a phone that looked stunning but can't remember what make.

drakky

Senior elf
I have an older dslr (Nikon D5100). Was trial and error playing with the settings on the camera.
I just bought a new canon today and even without touching settings yet my test video tonight is way better than what I have been able to do, hopefully I'll be able to work out how to tweak it to get as good as yours

christmasdave

Full time elf
Just wondering if there is anyone that uses/have used an iPhone to record their display and what settings you have used? I have an iPhone 11 and spent too much on lights so no budget for a DSLR camera this year so will be using that to record.

I tried recording on 4k with high frame rate but the end result was horribly blurry. HD with standard frame rate looks OK, but when trying to edit the music to the video I am seeing it slowly lose sync (just using standard Apple Movie Editor though). This is not my forte so after any advice :)

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Locking exposure is the key, anything where you can stop auto focus etc otherwise the lights will constantly blow out when they flash from light to dark and the camera tries to adjust.
Setting the lights down low (reduce brightness) also will help, even if just for recording purposes.
I'm going to trial both my Samsung S20 phone, and my new GoPro Hero 8

christmasdave

Full time elf
The exposure lock sounds like what my problem may have been. Will give that a go. Thank you! WIll also try reducing the brightness as suggested for when I record.