Best RGB Pixel for a Ping Pong ball

dmoore

Senior elf
....my intended purpose is for a 16*25 matrix using 2801 rgb pixel at 2" centers...

Which RGB pixel? Chip strip? Is this for text scrolling? What is the overall maximum size of the area you are using for the matrix?

CRPerryJr

New elf
Hi all!

I guess I kinda got off track...
I'm just looking for the best RGB LED to use in a ping pong ball type diffuser.
I'm stuck between the 5050 or the 8 mm pixels sold by Ray Wu. (Leaning toward the 5050 right now.)
The matrix will be 10*17, 6" on center, which would make the matrix about 5'*8.5'.
The viewing range will be about 20-30 feet way, out to about 100'.
I'd like to do text Scrolling, fades, or anything else the LSP software can do!!!
Thanks again for your help everyone!

neilric99

Full time elf
dmoore said:
....my intended purpose is for a 16*25 matrix using 2801 rgb pixel at 2" centers...

Which RGB pixel? Chip strip? Is this for text scrolling? What is the overall maximum size of the area you are using for the matrix?

34" x 50" on 2 inch centers, yesy text scrolling and video transistions will be on the matrix

might be better to mount the pixels on pegboard and use a coro diffuser

dmoore

Senior elf
neil said:
dmoore said:

34" x 50" on 2 inch centers, yesy text scrolling and video transistions will be on the matrix

might be better to mount the pixels on pegboard and use a coro diffuser

Sounds like a good solution to me.

dmoore

Senior elf
CRPerryJr said:
The matrix will be 10*17, 6" on center, which would make the matrix about 5'*8.5'.
The viewing range will be about 20-30 feet way, out to about 100'.
I'd like to do text Scrolling, fades, or anything else the LSP software can do!!!
Thanks again for your help everyone!

I'd look at the intended design requirement and work back from there. Picking the LED or ping pong ball method to start with may not be the best choice. Have you done testing at 100' with ping pong balls? Depending on the size, you may have some issues - there is a reason score boards, Jumbotrons and huge outdoor screens have large pixels. When you look at the video of the MegaMatrix, you can clearly see the 6"x6" pixels from just ar 100ft and my testing with them shows the same. Just something to keep in mind.

Look at the "viewed at" distances listed on page 12 of this document: http://www.holidaycoro.com/docs/CoroText%20Assembly%20Instructions.pdf

ewanh

what goes here?
bit of silicon on the in and out should fix it. What at the UV rating of the 'balls'? I wonder if the plastic would break down in the sun after one season.

Ewan

ps. like them too, but have too many plans for this year already

CRPerryJr

New elf
Wow! This thread is still alive! :eek:

As an update for everyone, I moved to a new home on 20 December 2010, and had to rethink everything. I ended up finding a good source of 5050 pixels, and some nice plastic ping pong ball type diffusers. I used them indoors on our white artificial Christmas tree we had left over from the old house. (My wife wanted a new green tree for the new house.) They turned out much better than I had expected! The whole tree took on whatever color was being displayed, and the chasing effects were fantastic from outside the house looking up to the third story window where the tree was displayed. I wish I had some good pics, but the display as a whole for the new house became 2nd to other things, and I really didn't get the chance to go full force like I wanted. I'm looking forward to 2012!!!

New House
WP_000064.jpg

Christmas 2011
WP_000062.jpg

Christmas 2011
WP_000061.jpg

tomhammond

New elf
I know this is an old post, so hopefully people can still respond to it.

How did you attach the ping pong balls to your pixels? I drilled a hole, but what keeps the ball from falling off the pixel?

Thanks,
Tom