Big W 2015

dw45

New elf
MarcD said:
Thanks. Those look like what I'm after. Ironically, they were the first ones I looked at but they gnored because they were more expensive.
I know i liked the big w ones cause they were cheap but they keep getting shorter and shorter over the years :(

AngieHarrison

Apprentice elf
IMG]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/17/cf51448b0c037a28e623c67e48e54599.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry i can't find the link but these the one i ordered

AngieHarrison

Apprentice elf
0a8d4669efaffe51e6ba46fcd96a4e79.jpg

dale82

Senior elf
no offence, But personally I would steer clear of ebay lights. also are your controllers DC or AC?

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
I know that the Bunnings & big W lights are easy to get but bang for buck dumb RGB's kill them, same controller same software but one globe does far more than the multiple strings of the off the shelf stuff

i13

Dedicated elf
JHarrison thanks for posting that. I understand it is this listing but can't see a mention of Big W.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200Led-20m-String-Fairy-Lights-Lighting-Christmas-Party-Wedding-Decorations-/321885436191?var=&hash=item4af1ddf91f:m:mgxTzWR5r0MjKMz9dO-wrMA

Reading through the description it says they're 24V; I suspect that is AC but don't know. Still I'd want to be really sure they're not 240V before plugging them in.

If they are low voltage then the only real problem is that the clear wires generally have a tendency to deteriorate in the sun.

Beacy you are right. If you run a second controller type then pixels are even better IMO. I still do prefer to have a variety of light types but this does make the setup more complicated. Yes the Bunnings and Big W lights are easy to get but they no longer work with our controllers.

MarcD

Full time elf
The photos bw45 posted looked familiar. The box is the same as the ones from GT Mall. I've ordered two sets from them. They allow refunds and Paypal are currently offering a refund of delivery charges. If they turn out to be okay, I'll let everyone know.

I understand that dumb rgb strings are the way to go, but I'm committed to this plan for this year. Maybe next year.

MarcD

Full time elf
My order of LED strings arrived from GT Mall this morning. I'm pleased to say that they do appear to be controllable. There are two wires from the transformer to a separate controller box and three wires from there to the lights. It certainly appears that these will be a suitable replacement for the older style controllable Big W strings.

They come in various lengths, but I ordered two of the 65m lengths because I need at least 15 six metre lengths.

http://www.gtmall.com.au/75m-700-led-christmas-fairy-light-clear-string-multi-color-rgby.html

They are the same as the ones DW45 bought from Vicky Sun, but they were $10 cheaper and they use Australia Post, so I was able to get them delivered to my PO box.

MarcD

Full time elf
In my search for suitable replacements for Big W strings, one of my options was these from VickySun.com. I submitted a query on their website asking how many wires they had and (several weeks later) I have just received a response telling me they are two wire lights.

It appears that in future, you will only be able to buy three wire strings by having them custom made by Ray or using dumb RGB.

I did stumble across sets of 300 lights in my local Stacks discount store. $30 per box and they were three wire. Ironically, I searched all over the country and there was a suitable and cheaper option just down the road. I'm thinking of going back in there and stocking up on them for the future.