Block of channels colour issue

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I have some 4 channel "dumb" stars. Each has concentric red, green, white and blue outlines (one channel each).

In xlights I have created a channel block to represent each star, with the individual colours set to red, green, white and blue.

If I set the colour of the prop to red, both the red and white channels activate. The green and blue work correctly when set to those colours.

Setting the prop colour to white sees all channels come on, not just the white one. That is a problem too.

This happens in the preview as well as the lights so it's not a controller / electrical issue.

The only way I can control the stars properly is to use ON effects at the individual channel level, but that's more work than it should be.

Am I going about this wrong? I'm using the latest (2020.48) version of xlights.

Reactions: AAH

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
Keith did a video about something like that from memory.
Your description sounds very much like it is trying to make the colour you want with all 4 colours.

Hope this helps

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Thanks. I'll check his channel.

I thought it may be a bug to do with the overall model colour being white (default) and interacting with the first channel.

keithsw1111

Senior elf
That is the colour handling xlights has always had. Colours react to the colour components. For rgbw you may be better off with rgbw or superstrings as they offer some different colour handling.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Thanks Keith. I thought it was a bug because it only affected one colour.

I'll check into the other model types.