Blowing fuses on distro board with mega tree

Roosta

Full time elf
Each set of 100 pixels would draw 5A - 6A on full white, so no surprise that 2 sets of 100 are blowing a 5A fuse.

Also, do you really have the V+ line connected at the top at each direction change? (you should not)

David could you please give a reason why not to have the + connected in the direction change.
I thought it was ok to connect for the direction change for each run from each PSU supply
Not ok to link between the PSU supplies as per this schematic posted by Roosta

full

I am intrigued by both your comments, and would like to understand why not linking at the top or bottom (which ever is the case) is not ok? I am guessing this is specific to those using small fused distro boards..

By linking both, in my mind, supplied by a single large fuse, while allowing the oppurtunity for a large surge to flow through on a short, just shares the load and reduces the overal resistance of the voltage circuit, thus reducing voltage drop by a little, and offering mutliple paths for the power to get to the LED in case of a solder joint breakdown.

Maybe I have the wrong take on this..

Last edited:

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The linking at the tops would be fine if there was just one fuse feeding the whole set.

Because there were several fuses, they each need to feed their own sections.

damo1271

Full time elf
If you continue to have fuse issues you could try this version. I used to use these "slow blow" fuses in my old car.
You can find one to fit a 6x30 fuse holder perfectly.
You should be able to find them to suit a 5x20 holder as well.
Not sure what to do if you use blade style fuses!
c0dff0a5-555a-44c4-a755-614e038c6caa.jpg