Bretts Help thread.

Baf05

Full time elf
I think I am dangeriously close to throwing money away here, this all seems very over my head. But, I guess there is only one way to learn, well for me there is anyway.

I have ordered the ECG-P12R today because I obvioulsy want to have control of the Intelligent RGB's strings I ordered.

When ever thing arrives, I am sure there will be more questions...... and headaches for me. ::)

The big thing I am having trouble understanding is, channels/universes I can control.... nothing I have read seems to make much sense so far, and just when I think I "get it" I read something new and I loose it again....

Baf05

Full time elf
Ok so today I thought I would try some things out,
I contected the ECG-D4 to the network port on my computer
then to the DC 48
I then conected the power supply to the DC48, its got power, as the green lights light up (+5 volts, mode) the DMX light does not light up.
I have connected i string of LEDs to the board, the common positive, then 1 negative to channel 1 and 1 to channel two...
I opened up vixen...
now I am lost....
what I would like to do is to at least be able to turn the lights on and off from my computer to see if I am in the ball park....
if anyone could offer advice that would be great
Lastly, I know there is probably reading to be done somewhere, and believe me I have read and read and read, but I am soo much more a monkey see monkey do kinda guy, so some basic do this instructions would be really great :)

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Hi Baf05.
You need to start at the begining and work your way to the lights.

can you access your D-4?

Make sure you D-4 is configured and if your not sure post some config pictures of your D-4.

pop into chat now if you like and i'm sure it will be going in about 2 mins

I would be using software like David_AVD's e-131 test program before trying to get anything going in other programs like vixen as they need to be set up also

Baf05

Full time elf
A MASSIVE thanks to they guys who stayed up last night and helped me stumble thought my first attempts at setting things up!
For those that were still here at then end when we discovered the power supply issur, this morning I checked the RGB lights I bought, they are 5 volt, this means that I now have two powers supplies I don't need at this stage. :(
Oh well.
It did force me to check the lights, and I found that I was sent 300 Intelligent RGB's and 200 dumb, so I have emailed and hopefully that will be fixed soon.
Anyway, like I said, a MASSIVE, thanks to you guys. I have much to learn, but I suspect it is going to be a lot of fun too :)

Baf05

Full time elf
Now I will add a question, what powere supply are people using to run BigW led strings?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The Big W strings need approx 30V DC to run. I use (and sell) the Mean Well SP-240-30 unit. They are nil stock at present but more will be available in the next two weeks.

kane

Dedicated elf
Baf05 said:
Looks pretty much the same as the ones you get from most chinese suppliers - $37 from Ray delivered (and cheaper if you get multiple supplies or order with other items)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-5V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved/701799_289599937.html

Baf05

Full time elf
David can you let me know when you have stock, please.
I think I am going to need 2. :)

Baf05

Full time elf
Ok I am back from the winter break, looking to get things started for this years display...

I have been working on a few things, but my first main item are dancing arches. I am going to control these with Daves 48 Chanel board but I have a questing re wiring....

The board has V+ ch1 ch2 ch3 V+ ch4 ch5 ch6 V+ ch7 ch8 ch9 ect, as I have a 10 channel arch.... how do I wire the arch to the board?

do I group the first 3 channels together and use the with the V+ for the first 3 channels of the arch. then the second V+ with the next 3 channels for the next 3 channels of the arch.

or do I need to assume ch1 ch2 and ch3 with the V+ is one channel of the arch.

OR can I use the first V+ and then ch1 to ch10 for the entire arch?

hope I am making sence

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
It depends on the current drawn from the outputs. All of the V+ terminals are common so you don't have to use the one for those channel outputs. For small loads you may only need to use one V+.

Baf05

Full time elf
thanks David, I need to work that out, (I find if confusing to try, but need to learn) the arch has 400 big W lights, but I intend to run at least 4 arches, possibly 5, wiring two sets of arches in parallel and one by it self, so I end up using only 30 channels for the 5 arches.
All a learning curve :)