Bunnings Deer 2017

Goliath

Full time elf
Took the punt and bought one of the 100 led Bunnings deer today. Don't look bad at all. 31V DC if my blind old eyes read the transformer correctly, so would lend themselves to on/off with Ray Wu 27 channel board.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I think those should be ok to use with a regular controller and are not the reversing polarity type. You will need to use with a 31V DC supply of course.

marmalade

cats & pixels
the ones I have work great with a 2811DC30, just ensure the polarity is correct or you'll find out how much fun it is to replace 100 leds on an intricate frame o_O

marmalade

cats & pixels
it befuddled me as well.. you know, the moment when you are standing there in disbelief, looking at a dead prop, wondering why and cursing silently. But all the clear leds looked burned and refused to work. Could have been a dodgy plug pack but definitely wired it backwards on the pigtail (those clear wires..omg) Happy to try it on the other original reindeer to find out.. if you care to rewire it for me by chrissy :)

Goliath

Full time elf
Have four of these testing now on a Ray Wu 27 channel controller. They do come with a 13.5 mm plug which fits the Ray Wu pigtails, but the polarity is reversed. Which may how I found reverse polarity doesn't blow up the LED's ......... :)

marmalade

cats & pixels
more importantly...do all the led's on the latest 2017 reindeers light up or are they in a reverse polarity arrangement?

scamper

Dedicated elf
Reverse polarity Shouldn't blow up led's.
An led is a diode, which is basically a device to allow current to flow in one direction, most commonly to rectify ac or protect against reverse polarity.
led, stands for light emitting diode.
I would suggest that the voltage was too high for the device which caused the damage.

Goliath

Full time elf
All LEDS light up, effectively it's a one channel element. Effects in Vixen allow you to make the leds "twinkle". I have 4 deer, 2 Lyteworks 2.4m blossom trees, 3 strings of the old Big W icicles (2 channels each) all running thru the Ray Wu 27 channel controller using less than half the channels. The positive from the transformer goes directly to the elements (through a fuse), with the negatives coming back through the various RGB channels of the board. In the past I have run both 5V and 31V stuff through the same board in this manner.