Butane Tourch for Heat Shrink

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I use an Altronics 1 http://www.altronics.com.au/p/t2492-iroda-pro-torch-pt-200-blow-torch/ for all my heatshrink and have been going to add this style of gun to the ACL 101 as I find it so much quicker than using my proper heatshrink gun. By the time my heatshrink gun gets to temp I would have finished 1 with the gas and been onto the next. The only caution is that as the temp of the gas is 1350C rather than about 350C for the electric you need to be careful not to burn things by holding the flame still.
There are actually 2 styles of these torches. 1 does a fine point which is the 1 I linked to above and the other does a much broader lower heat flame. That 1 may be http://www.altronics.com.au/p/t2494-iroda-pro-torch-pt-500-blow-torch/ but I'm not sure.

Habbosrus

Back again
I bought a cheapy heat gun from Bunnings and it works a treat. It heats up quick and I haven't had any problems with it (yet). It only cost $19 last year.

JPB

Full time elf
Habbosrus said:
I bought a cheapy heat gun from Bunnings and it works a treat. It heats up quick and I haven't had any problems with it (yet). It only cost $19 last year.
xu1 brand. works just fine.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I use a standard hot air gun (AKA paint stripper gun) and find that the large air outlet helps shrink the sleeving uniformly.

battle79

Full time elf
I have replaced the work 1XU heat gun about 14 times now as the elements stops working after about 5-6 weeks. For the initial $19 dollars paid, it has been the best investment ever, considering the flogging it gets. (Unless you count the time to swap it over every time LOL)

My personnel Bosch one has been going strong for about 6 years now, no dramas.

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
I also use the hot air gun on my soldering station, its good in that at around 120 deg it shrinks really well but doesnt do any other heat damage. Using a flame its too easy to damage surrounding cables