Can Arduino or RPi be used for a very simple animated display?

dnorm

New elf
Just wondering if I could use an Arduino or a Raspberry Pi to do a very small programmed display. I have those things on hand, and was thinking as a learning project I could get a string or 2 of lights, or a strip of ws2812b's or something. Mostly just want to use programmable LED's on the Christmas tree rather than traditional strings of lights. Just seems like it would be more fun.

ICon

New elf
I had a good play with the FastLED library for arduino last year - worked well, the arduino memory limits the number of pixels you can control. Also be careful about pulling the supply voltage through the arduino, best to feed the pixels directly from the power supply.

Cee DeLights

New elf
You can plug the pixels directly to GPIO 18 and 19 on the Rpi (with appropriate power injection as needed)
Then create sequences in Vixen or Xlights and load them up in FPP - it can be a simple chase sequences if you wish.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I know this is almost a month old, but I run my internal Christmas tree on a Beaglebone Black and F4-B, but last year it was a Pi and cheap Pi-hat from smartalec. My garden lights use a Pi and one of Alec's Pi Hats and have run fine for the last 2 years like that, running 24/7, but being turned on and off via my home automation system, and they work great.

For a small display I would say this is a great and cheap way to add animation, especially if you already have the parts

vk3heg

Full time elf
I will say a huge yes. My display this year had the adation of, 1 2m tall tree (532 nodes), 6 10 node arches, two snowflakes (36nodes each), and two 150 node strip. All run from a PI4 with one of Alan's RPI28D's. It didn't miss a beat.

Cristian

New elf
[QUOTE = "vk3heg, post: 106162, membro: 28721"]
Dirò un sì enorme. Il mio display quest'anno ha avuto l'annuncio di 1 albero alto 2 m (532 nodi), 6 archi a 10 nodi, due fiocchi di neve (36 nodi ciascuno) e due strisce da 150 nodi. Tutti corrono da un PI4 con uno degli RPI28D di Alan. Non ha perso un colpo.
[/CITAZIONE]
Mi piace un albero e gestirlo ocn un PI3b+, però incontro grosse dificoltà, fino ad oggi gono riuscito agestire solo una strip led di 50 pixel con i GPIO. Il mio obbiettivo sarebbe un albero H2,50 mt con 32 strisce ...

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
For the English speakers out there, that translated to:
I like a tree and manage it with a PI3b +, however I encounter great difficulties, so far I have managed to manage only a 50 pixel led strip with GPIOs. My goal would be an H2.50 m tree with 32 strips ...

Cristian

New elf
[QUOTE = "Chris_Mas, post: 105437, membro: 28793"]
Puoi collegare i pixel direttamente a GPIO 18 e 19 su Rpi (con un'adeguata iniezione di potenza, se necessario)
Quindi crea sequenze in Vixen o Xlights e caricale in FPP: se lo desideri, può essere una sequenza di inseguimento semplice.
[/CITAZIONE]
Con x light quale protocollo devo usare per gestire su gpio?
You can plug the pixels directly to GPIO 18 and 19 on the Rpi (with appropriate power injection as needed)
Then create sequences in Vixen or Xlights and load them up in FPP - it can be a simple chase sequences if you wish.

With x light which protocol do I use to manage on gpio? do I connect the strips all in cascade?

Yochui

New elf
I just ran my first real sequence yesterday on my only 2 strings. I started learning in December 2019 and it is great being able to run these tests with just an Arduino. I'm in the process of getting more Pixels and controls to learn about that.

I am using:
- My laptop with - Vixen 3.6u4
- Arduino UNO R3
- The Arduino sketch is from Click That Moment (don't know the name of this young man)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY6IoPM-sFY

- FastLED Library
- I got some free sequences from http://www.highcountrylights.com/ (had to map the sequences to my items, but it took me 3 minutes for I didi it carelessly).

If I could find a way to do this from an FPP and through an Arduino, without needing Falcon controllers and other expensive hardware, it would be great.
Again, I have less than a month learning so my hopes are high.

Besides, having this new hobby has filled me with a lot of energy.

Cheers!
Josué.

Cristian

New elf
I am in your same condition, but I started with a 3b + rpi, to tell you the truth I do not invest a lot of time, anceh I would not want to use complex hardware but only the gpio on board raspy, now I have problems with the dp installation. ...

Yochui

New elf
Hey Cristian,
Thank you for your post.

I'm sorry for not replying sooner.
A lot of things have happened since my first post, plus the pandemic came and I stopped all activities related to Christmas lighting.

Never stopped watching light show videos on YouTube though.
The ones that I like the most are the ones with the song "I got the feeling" by J.T.

Now that things are starting to get better I'm trying to put some small indoor show for my family with what I have and planning for next year.

If I make it, I'll post a video of my small indoor show by Christmas.
I'd like to see videos of yours.

Well Cristian, I hope you and your family are doing well through these complicated times.

Josué

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.