Can you help wire my prop?

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Hi guys. I seem to have got myself in a tangle on how in the world I should wire this display. See photo.

This display will be 20mm conduit with bullet pixels along each length as an outline. I have written the number of pixels there will be per conduit. I would like to feed the data line in from my Falcon F16 V3 where I have drawn start. I just don’t know what the best way would be to wire this thing keeping in mind I would like to gather each length together when I’m done for storage.

Also I’m not sure where and how I should power inject. Well I know how but just not sure where would be best in order to minimise cable.

My thoughts were grouping A, B & C together as it’s under 100 pixels and I’m going to use 12 volts. Then run cable from the end C to the start of D? Thoughts??

Attachments

• 3A726355-026B-4D87-A460-D68790A4B0EA.jpeg
    3A726355-026B-4D87-A460-D68790A4B0EA.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 52

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I was almost going to ignore when I got to the 12V nodes bit but I chose the ignore the environmental terrorism ;)
Wire the props as you have shown in the B,C,D section. Do a direct connection of the 0V and 5̶V̶ 12V between the beginning and ends of the vertical sections C, E and G. Power injection at B,C,D junction and F, G, H junctions is probably all that is needed.

Reactions: Dez

TerryK

Retired Elf
I do not understand very well your "gather each length together when I’m done for storage". If you meant each section then connectors at the A/B, B/C, C/D, and etc. junctions. If the A/B and B/C cables at their junction is long enough then a connector at the C/D junction and 'Z' fold the A, B, and C sections. And then of course something similar for the remaining sections.

You did not indicate whether you intend to use resistor or regulated 12 Volt bullets or if your intent is to run with little or no pixel dimming at high drive levels (usually 100% White). That information helps us give better suggestions.

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Start at the top and then do alternate pixels down and fill the gaps going up. This likely eliminates the need to cut and splice unless the pixels are too far apart. If you are using xLights then the icicles model can support this layout.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I like Keith's suggestion. Assuming that your pixels have the distance between them to allow doing every other position then that is the way I'd go. I'd still join the power at the beginning/end of the vertical droppers, would make the junction of A and B the start point and provide power injection the the DEF and HI junctions.

Dez

I do not understand very well your "gather each length together when I’m done for storage". If you meant each section then connectors at the A/B, B/C, C/D, and etc. junctions. If the A/B and B/C cables at their junction is long enough then a connector at the C/D junction and 'Z' fold the A, B, and C sections. And then of course something similar for the remaining sections.

You did not indicate whether you intend to use resistor or regulated 12 Volt bullets or if your intent is to run with little or no pixel dimming at high drive levels (usually 100% White). That information helps us give better suggestions.

Yes sorry I meant leaving wires long enough that I can fold up and store. I would need to have a screw connector along the top somewhere to undo. I’m only new so what is the difference between resistor or regulated bullets?

Dez

I was almost going to ignore when I got to the 12V nodes bit but I chose the ignore the environmental terrorism ;)
Wire the props as you have shown in the B,C,D section. Do a direct connection of the 0V and 5̶V̶ 12V between the beginning and ends of the vertical sections C, E and G. Power injection at B,C,D junction and F, G, H junctions is probably all that is needed.

Thank you. I will go with that

Dez

Start at the top and then do alternate pixels down and fill the gaps going up. This likely eliminates the need to cut and splice unless the pixels are too far apart. If you are using xLights then the icicles model can support this layout.

Sounds perfect but I am using a 60mm spacing so they won’t reach unless I can get extra wide spaced pixels?

TerryK

Retired Elf
Here is a link to Wired Watts, a US vendor site that will help understand the difference between resistor and regulated 12 Volt pixels. This link has photos which shows the visual internal differences; last I checked, both 12 Volt types and the 5 Volt type.

There are also a number of forum discussions and media files here (ACL) as well. Briefly, resistor bullets are cheaper than regulated but regulated bullets are more immune to voltage drop. If/when one orders 12 Volt bullets, if the listing does not specifically state "Regulated", you'll get the resistor type. If you order pixels from Ray Wu's store, you can order strings made to your custom specifications. Likely at additional cost although as I've never ordered custom strings I cannot say. Delivery would likely be extended somewhat as well but it would give you a string(s) that would fit your 60mm spacing design.

Reactions: Dez

Dez

Here is a link to Wired Watts, a US vendor site that will help understand the difference between resistor and regulated 12 Volt pixels. This link has photos which shows the visual internal differences; last I checked, both 12 Volt types and the 5 Volt type.

There are also a number of forum discussions and media files here (ACL) as well. Briefly, resistor bullets are cheaper than regulated but regulated bullets are more immune to voltage drop. If/when one orders 12 Volt bullets, if the listing does not specifically state "Regulated", you'll get the resistor type. If you order pixels from Ray Wu's store, you can order strings made to your custom specifications. Likely at additional cost although as I've never ordered custom strings I cannot say. Delivery would likely be extended somewhat as well but it would give you a string(s) that would fit your 60mm spacing design.

Thank you