Cases for Controllers and Power Supplies

RobbaDobba

New elf
Hey everyone,
This is my first year doing this. I've purchased some lights and controllers etc. I just need to grab some waterproof cases for the yard.
Where does everyone buy from? The ones at bunnings aren't that great.

scamper

Dedicated elf
In Australia we get shafted with this type of thing. You go and buy the pixels and controllers etc thinking that is the most expensive part, then realise you can't house them for under $100 xD
That being said, I have used the bunnings ones, but you must be diligent on closing them and lay them flat. Otherwise, I use meter boxes, medicine cabinets whatever I can get my hands on and keep them under as much cover as I can.
Or you can go to an electrical outlet and get waterproof cases but expect to pay the big bucks. If you know someone in the trade, you may be able to persuade them to buy them for you as trade price is HEAPS cheaper.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I put most of my stuff in the Kmart storage containers, and pass the wires out through the gap in between the lid and container itself. Had very few problems with this, worst case, put a rubbish bag over the container to keep water off it, and that worked for me too.

RobbaDobba

New elf
In Australia we get shafted with this type of thing. You go and buy the pixels and controllers etc thinking that is the most expensive part, then realise you can't house them for under $100 xD
That being said, I have used the bunnings ones, but you must be diligent on closing them and lay them flat. Otherwise, I use meter boxes, medicine cabinets whatever I can get my hands on and keep them under as much cover as I can.
Or you can go to an electrical outlet and get waterproof cases but expect to pay the big bucks. If you know someone in the trade, you may be able to persuade them to buy them for you as trade price is HEAPS cheaper.
Yeah feels like there isn't a great deal of cheap options. Yeah maybe I'll do some scouting around and see what I can find.

chickda

New elf
I have had this case out in the weather 2 years running and no water ingress.
It's cheap and from bunnings.

And the other reason I like them is they aren't heavy so you can easily mange lifting it by yourself after you load it up with power supplies, controller, pigtails, power distribution etc.

chickda

New elf
That wouldn't be to bad. Do you have plenty of room in them?
What do you want to put in them? I currently have 4 power supplies, controller and 3 x 12 way fused power distributions. I've expanded this year but this is roughly what you can do.

Attachments

• 20211004_203901.jpg
    20211004_203901.jpg
    752.2 KB · Views: 71

RobbaDobba

New elf
What do you want to put in them? I currently have 4 power supplies, controller and 3 x 12 way fused power distributions. I've expanded this year but this is roughly what you can do.
Yeah wow, alot of room. I don't know if I need heaps. One will have a f48 and a power supply. And the rest will just be receivers and power supplies. So this would be heaps

chickda

New elf
Yeah if it's just f48 well I would be putting that inside, in an enclosure because you will only have power and cat6 cables going out.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
You can get away with quite compact setup with that. The F48 will only need a small (3A) power supply, and the receivers with just 4 pigtails and an incoming ethernet should be quite compact too.

stooged

Pixelated
those tactix cases from bunnings work well, i used one for my smart receiver box that is in an area that could get wet and it seems to do the job well.
i just cut some acrylic on the laser to mount the boards to and it all came together well.
i think the one i got was the large one and i managed to get 16 cable glands on 1 side with 2x meanwells inside of it.
sr.jpg

where i am i have to worry about heat more than water so i just finished building my main controller into an old pc case, i dont need to worry about wet weather protection for this one so it has 4x fans at the front to push air through the box
Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf