Cases for Controllers and Power Supplies

someoneAUS

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
I just picked up an old fire panel for free. Hopefully will make a decent controller box. Already had a 240v isolation switch and a mount for a single meanwell PSU. Plenty of room to build it out as well. Another wildcard option if you can source them from somewhere.
POOYT36.png

Last edited:

RobbaDobba

New elf

RobbaDobba

New elf
What do you want to put in them? I currently have 4 power supplies, controller and 3 x 12 way fused power distributions. I've expanded this year but this is roughly what you can do.
So where did you get the waterproof plug for the CAT cable?

Iain

Full time elf
I was thinking of buying a couple of these "IP67" boxes from the local hardware store. They're cheap so won't be much waste if they don't work for the purpose - I'll use it for storing parts or something instead:
1681881496050.png

I would like to have it stuck onto a star picket or stake in the garden, I'm thinking with the lid perpendicular to the ground. Any ideas for how to do that without cutting into the box?

Domestos

Apprentice elf
I can second the Tactix cases from Bunnings, I have 4 of them for all my various expansion boxes. I can also suggest the Craftright one, however it doesn't say what the actual IP rating on the case is. The Tactix ones are IP 65 rated. I think the build quality of the Craftright ones are slightly better, but the Tactix ones are cheaper. Both have served me well. I would suggest you go to Silly Solly's or similar store and get a cheap tarp and put it over the case, both for sun and extra water protection. In Brisbane the sun absolutely killed my one case.

Last year I did a controller rebuild and got one of these off ebay. I easilly got 2 X HP1200W PSU's in, a F16V4 with Expansion board giving 32 outputs, and the 4 port diff receaver. They are sligthly more expensive than the plastic ones, and in my opinion will last much longer. If you are going to go the steel route, make sure you have a proper drill, and be prepared to drill and drill, and drill. Drilling plastic with a stepper drill is fairly easy, drilling multiple holes into steel, with a crappy drill, not so much.

For cable management I use these glands from Hanson Electronics for all my pigtails.
For ventalation I use the vents from Da-Share as listed in one of the previous reply's. I do however use the Noctua fans, as they are robust, and really REALLY quiet. (just make sure you get the correct voltage fan)
For power connection I use these connectors and these from Aliexpress.
For data connection I use these also from Aliexpress.

Finally I use this switch. Absolutely love these Shelly switches and they monitor my energy usage also. They are easy to integrate into any of the smart home platforms. Alternatively you can also go the TP-Link Kasa route and control them from FPP.

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
Have a look at Digikey. I have purchased 5 of these boxes
Works out $67.24 inc GST and shipping.

I believe this is the same box that Hanson Electronics also sells
$45 inc GST but shipping needs to be added. They have two in stock, you would need to work out what option works best for you.

This is also the same Bud box that Extreme Lighting Displays use for their kits (though currently out of stock). Last month i did get ELD to make up 5 sets of custom mounting plate for me so that part is easy enough to get.

Here is a box i finished last week.
1682042276589.png

bpratt

Senior elf
Last year I did a controller rebuild and got one of these off ebay. I easilly got 2 X HP1200W PSU's in, a F16V4 with Expansion board giving 32 outputs, and the 4 port diff receaver. They are sligthly more expensive than the plastic ones, and in my opinion will last much longer. If you are going to go the steel route, make sure you have a proper drill, and be prepared to drill and drill, and drill. Drilling plastic with a stepper drill is fairly easy, drilling multiple holes into steel, with a crappy drill, not so much.

I bought a similar case last year too. I put a 1950W psu in.

I used JDeation for the mounting plates inside it, and my design for it should be available on there for anyone else wishing to take that route.

KHill9314

New elf
I was thinking of buying a couple of these "IP67" boxes from the local hardware store. They're cheap so won't be much waste if they don't work for the purpose - I'll use it for storing parts or something instead:
View attachment 22801

I would like to have it stuck onto a star picket or stake in the garden, I'm thinking with the lid perpendicular to the ground. Any ideas for how to do that without cutting into the box?
I used one of these for my main controller, worked really well. Using a sheet metal holesaw meant I had no issues with chipping etc. Can't speak for its waterproofing as I had it under a makeshift shelter but it worked well for keeping vermin/bugs out etc.