Caught my first thiefs on camera!!!!

Habbosrus

Back again
This particular instance may seem a little funny and it was probably meant to be lighthearted, but it's just not on. I'll be putting up cameras this year too. I hope nobody is stupid enough to pinch stuff or damage any of my gear. It's not so much the work I've put into it, but my little audience will be disappointed and if anybody upsets them - look out! I'll definitely make an example of them if it happens :mad:

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
It is disturbing to see this even though the end outcome was good.

The issue with cameras is that at night it is still hard to get a positive ID, one way to secure your beloved lights is to run a single core wire through everything that can be taken, this wire would be a closed loop trigger and when disconnected then an alarm will trigger. Also invest in some cheap sensor security lights. Its amazing how much a theif hates light as darkeness is their freind

Cameras should be used as only part of your security measures and at very least a security light should be added to help scare away would be offenders.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Morality issues aside, it shows the difference between blokes and girls I reckon. Drunken blokes would have run in there grabbed the cane and run off without disconnecting anything. In the process they would have pulled the wiring out of half a dozen lights. Then they would of realised it was too hard and dropped the cane leaving an almighty trail of destruction for Shell to find.

Even drunk, girls take the time to carefully work out what needs to be done and then disconnect the lights. Hence no damage.

I hope they've already had the bucks party Shell. :p

mborg10

Michael Borg
BundyRoy said:
Morality issues aside, it shows the difference between blokes and girls I reckon. Drunken blokes would have run in there grabbed the cane and run off without disconnecting anything. In the process they would have pulled the wiring out of half a dozen lights. Then they would of realised it was too hard and dropped the cane leaving an almighty trail of destruction for Shell to find.

Even drunk, girls take the time to carefully work out what needs to be done and then disconnect the lights. Hence no damage.

Difference between blokes and girls. Lol. I didn't steal candy canes, I just got handcuffed to a chair and whipped by a lovely young lady. Your Christmas lights would have been safe haha

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Pffft. Even a drunk bloke would have had it removed and gone in 30s flat. We all know what women and tools/hardware are like :p

(We luv ya Shell :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: )

Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
BundyRoy said:

Difference between blokes and girls. Lol. I didn't steal candy canes, I just got handcuffed to a chair and whipped by a lovely young lady. Your Christmas lights would have been safe haha

firebug

Senior elf
Pffft. Even a drunk bloke would have had it removed and gone in 30s flat. We all know what women and tools/hardware are like :p

(We luv ya Shell :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: )

Must have had a high heel shoe and a butter knife... ;)

damona

Full time elf
Re: Caught my first thiefs on camera!!!!/Security

How about Falcon Player Adding a security option to the software. It should be able to monitor a voltage on a line or use a relay on one of the pins..... If it detects something. It could send a E.131 to switch on every light for 5 minutes....

scamper

Dedicated elf
Re: Caught my first thiefs on camera!!!!/Security

damona said:
How about Falcon Player Adding a security option to the software. It should be able to monitor a voltage on a line or use a relay on one of the pins..... If it detects something. It could send a E.131 to switch on every light for 5 minutes....
After having been broken in to a few times in the past. I would want to run another external wire, like a braided earth, except when an anomaly is detected, it sends a high voltage through it :mad:
I have moved since then, so am more passive ::)

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Fasteddy said:
It is disturbing to see this even though the end outcome was good.

The issue with cameras is that at night it is still hard to get a positive ID, one way to secure your beloved lights is to run a single core wire through everything that can be taken, this wire would be a closed loop trigger and when disconnected then an alarm will trigger. Also invest in some cheap sensor security lights. Its amazing how much a theif hates light as darkeness is their freind

Cameras should be used as only part of your security measures and at very least a security light should be added to help scare away would be offenders.

+1 This is my exact plan.

I've since upgraded to Hikvision 3megapixel IP Cameras and image quality is way clearer. Though getting good ID of someone standing in the street at night is still a battle even with IR.

Bird

LOR user
Glad everything came out all right.
IMO .. Motion sensor lights year round is the best way to go.
I still have one camera and a sign but never had an issue.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
We have 5 cats, unless they are pet-friendly the motion sensors would pretty much stay on all night as they use the front cat door (down to the right of main camera) like Grand Central Station. Plus....would annoy the buggery out of neighbours, I know it would me.