CCR Strips

Greg

New elf
Can someone please tell me what strips are equivalent to the LOR CCR strips? I want to build a 16 strip CCR tree this year but cant afford $3000 in LOR CCR's. I already have the controller, just looking for what strips to use. I see these on sale at holiday coro http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/700-ps.htm and I see several types on Ray Wu's site so I'm just curious what is the best strip for the CCR tree application

Thanks in Advance!

i13

Dedicated elf
Hi Greg

You're right that this is a cheaper option than LOR's CCRs. It would help to have a bit more information about the tree you're trying to make.
What type of controller do you have?
How long do you want each strip to be? (they can be cut, joined and extended)
Do you want to minimise the channel count with 10 pixels per metre or do you want to control every single LED as one pixel?

The strip you've linked to is similar to the CCRs with control of every 3 LEDs as one pixel. Being 12V it will be less prone to voltage drop than 5V strips but you can only control every three LEDs as one.

Greg

New elf
Hello,

I'm trying to make a 16 strip CCR Mega tree using Smart strips, I want the strip that is as closest to the original LOR CCR Strip in length, Pixels, spacing etc., the tree i'm making will be the same size as the strips. I believe the standard length is 16'ish or 5 meters. I already have the Joshua1 P12 controller and a Sandevice 682 on the way, I'm thinking for best plug-n-play ill use the 682 since it has 16 outputs to match my strips and then I won't need any power injection. I know its a waste of some universes but I prefer the ease of use,

SO I guess to answer your questions, I just want it to be as close the CCR as possible using my 6804 controller.

Thanks!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Greg said:
Hello,

I'm trying to make a 16 strip CCR Mega tree using Smart strips, I want the strip that is as closest to the original LOR CCR Strip in length, Pixels, spacing etc., the tree i'm making will be the same size as the strips. I believe the standard length is 16'ish or 5 meters. I already have the Joshua1 P12 controller and a Sandevice 682 on the way, I'm thinking for best plug-n-play ill use the 682 since it has 16 outputs to match my strips and then I won't need any power injection. I know its a waste of some universes but I prefer the ease of use,

SO I guess to answer your questions, I just want it to be as close the CCR as possible using my 6804 controller.

Thanks!

This is it, same length, same pixel count, same voltage, same LED count, the only difference is the chip as the CCR is a 5 bit colour chip (6803) when this strip is 8 bit colour (2811), so its also a better choice.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html

Greg

New elf
Still Confused, can someone explain the differences in these strips from Ray. I'm want the strip that is most like the LOR CCR. I just want to make sure that the CCR sequences I already have will match the color output on the strips from Ray. Im still a newbie and ned things as simple as possible.

Thanks!

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-DC5V-WS2801-32leds-m-with-32pixels-m-led-digital-strip-waterproof-in-silicon-tube-black/701799_1868610316.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-DC5V-WS2801-32leds-m-with-32pixels-m-led-digital-strip-waterproof-in-silicon-tube-black/701799_1868610316.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-DC12V-WS2811-150LEDs-10pixes-m-WHITE-PCB-led-digital-strip-IP66-waterproof-in-silicon-tube/701799_32269479779.html

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Greg said:
Thanks , how would it compare to the one form Holidaycoro? http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/700-ps.htm they are on sale right now and are the same price as Rays but Rays would cost allot more to ship

Fasteddy said:
This is it, same length, same pixel count, same voltage, same LED count, the only difference is the chip as the CCR is a 5 bit colour chip (6803) when this strip is 8 bit colour (2811), so its also a better choice.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html

Superman said:
Option 2
Make it even easier on yourself and get the ones with the plugs to suit the sandevices controllers.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-DC12V-30leds-m-10pcs-ws2811-ic-meter-led-digital-strip-IP68-epoxy-resin-filled-in/701799_1669497423.html

As mentioned before this is the strip you are looking for as a CCR replacemnt so any of those 3 links will do the trick for you

The others have more pixels per metre so will not work with your LOR sequences

You will find that the RGB orientation will most probably be different but that can be changed in the controllers configuration.

i13

Dedicated elf
The Strips you've linked to just have different ICs. You can think of this as speaking a different language with your controller. According to the SanDevices website, The E682 can talk to both of those strips. It won't make a difference from the viewers' perspective but most of us go for the WS2811 over the LPD6803. The LPD6803 seems to be a 4 wire strip while the 2811 has only 3 wires. LPD6803 is not my area of knowledge but I know WS2801 (4 wires) is less fussy about the clock rate than 2811 (3 wires) and able to tolerate larger gaps between adjacent pixels or the controller and first pixel; less null pixels are needed. Many of us prefer 2801 over 2811 for its good reliability.

For a tree I'd personally choose the ws2811 because it's cheaper, 3 wires will be more than enough soldering/tangling, you don't need large gaps between the pixels/controller and once you find the right clock rate it should be reliable.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here but I think the clock rate can be a potential issue when you run multiple types of pixels (for example 12V and 5V) from the same controller output. Many of us do it without a problem but I'm unsure whether that's with 2801 or 2811 compatible pixels (it's probably both).

You might not get an EXACT colour match to the CCRs so it could be worth asking if anyone has both a CCR and pixel strip.

Sorry if this seems complicated; it all seems simple once you have them working.

Gilrock

Full time elf
I think you've been given good advice here. You should buy the ws2811 strip that will give you 50 addressable pixels in the 5m length. I have a 12 ribbon DIY tree made of them and I'm a SuperStar customer and have purchased sequences from Brian at superstarlights that I play on my tree. I also own 5 LOR CCR's that I use for my arches so I'm experienced with about everything you're trying to do. I also have two Sandevices cards although my trees are running from J1SYS controllers.

Regarding the colors what I've seen LOR do is the export from SuperStar has been optimized to try to give a good white color so when you ask for white in a sequence and export it from SuperStar you don't get full on 255's for all three colors. I believe blue might be closer to 70%. So maybe a different strip doesn't have exact same color but personally I wouldn't sweat it. It's not worth the time worrying about it. No different than having two different monitors that display colors a little differently. Nobody looking at your display is going to complain. Also what I find when I create my own sequences is I tend to lean towards the primary red, green, and blue colors anyway so a color profile doesn't really matter. I've always liked the colors I've had using my SuperStar sequences on the ws2811 ribbons without me doing anything to adjust the sequence. You can find some of my videos around here if you want.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I second that you have good advice here.

I have 17 CCR's and you could use any of the strips mentioned here and have the same results.
Color may only vary ever so slightly.

The only real reason to buy a CCR is if you are going to use the special "hidden" channels, which I have never seen used and you have an individual controller per strip.

Personally, I am going to use a bit more of a dense strip on my CCR type tree. If I purchase any Sequences, I can just modify them to include the extra Pixels. The strip I will use is 20ic/60LED per meter instead of 10ic/30LED per meter. Twice as dense.

If you use Superstar... the converted Seq can just be copied into the new LOR sequence.

If you hop into Chat we can discuss anytime

-Blu

Greg

New elf
Great information guys thank you!

Question to @ bluzervic, you said you use the "20ic/60LED per meter instead of 10ic/30LED per meter. Twice as dense."

I am going to be using some premade sequences from Brian and holidaysequences.com for my tree. I do prefer a more dense look but how does it effect the premade sequences that I purchase, I'm a newbie and I think ill probably ending up just copying and pasting the sequences into my existing sequence.

Does the more dense strip have any effect on how that's done? Where did you purchase the strip you use? would love to see a video of your tree with the dense strips,