Cheap 12V RGB Strip On eBay

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Some of the other ACL members have been buying cheap 12V RGB 5 metre strip kits on eBay. They seem to end up at the $15 - $20 mark most of the time. Here's what you get (after waiting 2-3 weeks) in the package:

davidavd 5m of 5050 RGB strip with controller and remote from ebay Photo0422.jpg

The strip seems to be a little thinner (more fragile?) than the Ray Wu version I got without controllers a while ago. Overall the quality looks not too bad, although the insulation under the backing tape seems quite thin. I don't think I'd use this for a commercial job, but for hobby use it's probably just fine. There are 30 RGB LEDs per metre (150 total) and you can cut it every 100mm.

It doesn't come with a power supply, but you can hook it up to a 12V source via the 2.5mm (?) DC connector. I haven't measured the actual current draw yet as I only had a 1 Amp PSU handy when I gave it a quick test earlier today.

EDIT:
Oh, this particular kit was from eBay seller e-whsle. I have another similar one to come from eBay seller pop1318 so will post about that one once it arrives.

ewanh

what goes here?
I don't think mine had the power connector. I think it had the bare wires. They are in the shed and it's cold, so I'm not checking now.....

Boof63

Senior elf
Bought 2 rolls last year from a supplier not ray, worked ok, joined the two rolls and used one power source
(local computer store had 240v to 12 v - mutli charge kit $30). worked ok, second length was slighlty weaker in colour (now i understand the requirements better- i can see why), but overall worked ok for 3 weeksm laying on the windowsill bricks, so slightly out of weather for that period. was working when put away- may be i shgould check and see how its going now!

cheers and thanks
boof63

G

GoofyGuy

The one thing that has stopped me from buying them is not always able to determin the LED setup if they are a single RGB node that can display and blend all the colors, or some look as if each 100m its a Red, Green, and Blue Led. Im sure from a distance blend somewhat. These strips are they the single 5050 LED with all 3 colors in one LED or are they colors on seperate LEDs. As mine will be mounted to a hard surface permanently Im not too worried about thier structure as much as their function. Thank you again.

On a side note, I refer to you often on the LOR boards as the chirstmas light mad scientist. Professor Farnsworth.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
GoofyGuy said:
The one thing that has stopped me from buying them is not always able to determin the LED setup if they are a single RGB node that can display and blend all the colors, or some look as if each 100m its a Red, Green, and Blue Led.

I was sceptical too, as the pictures in the eBay listings are often in conflict with the descriptions. In the case of the one I received, they are in fact 5050 RGB LEDs, not separate red, green and blue 3528 LEDs like some of the pictures show.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Here's a slightly dodgy (no big-foot sighting though!) close-up of the RGB strip showing the 3x RGB 5050 LEDs and 3x resistors per 100mm section.

davidavd Closeup of cheap RGB strip Photo0424.jpg

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
OK, the 60 LEDs per metre (300 LEDs all up) RGB kit showed up today. Here's what you get:
davidavd cheap 5050 rgb strip from ebay arrived 60 LEDs per metre not waterproof Photo0425.jpg

This strip is bare. There is not waterproofing at all and it seems like it wouldn't take much at all to tear it.
davidavd cheap 5050 rgb strip from ebay arrived 60 LEDs per metre close up showing cut points ...jpg davidavd cheap 5050 rgb strip from ebay arrived 60 LEDs per metre side view pcb is thin and fr...jpg

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I grabbed some of the "Ray Wu strip" out to compare and boy, that's when you notice the difference! The ones from Ray have much better encapsulation than the eBay ones and (to my eye anyway) diffuse the light better.

I also did a current comparison between the Ray Wu and eBay types:

Ray Wu 12V 30 LEDs per metre:
  • Red 0.80A
  • Green 0.75A
  • Blue 0.75A
eBay 12V 30 LEDs per metre:
  • Red 0.78A
  • Green 0.70A
  • Blue 0.65A
eBay 12V 60 LEDs per metre:
  • Red 1.43A
  • Green 1.25A
  • Blue 1.19A
In all cases the combined current draw (white) was less than the sum of the individual colours. This is due to voltage drop in the common wire as it has the load of all colours on it.

G

GoofyGuy

Mine will be mounted on rigid plastic and never removed from it unless they fail. My windows, shutters, and so on Im building these frames for so that install is just a quick 1 minute job, then removal is another. Last year I did this with LED M6 on PVC and I had the whole display away in 30 minutes. This year its all RBG or pixels. Once on the frames I cant imagine there being failure as it will be attached.

I will try that same seller here in a few weeks to get some strips in my hands. I would rather the silicone covering over the epoxy, but thats just me. If I can figure out how to waterproof the non waterproof strips Ill just go that route.

Thank you for the follow up on these.

David_AVD said:
I grabbed some of the "Ray Wu strip" out to compare and boy, that's when you notice the difference! The ones from Ray have much better encapsulation than the eBay ones and (to my eye anyway) diffuse the light better.

• Red 0.80A
  • Green 0.75A
  • Blue 0.75A
  • Red 0.78A
  • Green 0.70A
  • Blue 0.65A
  • Red 1.43A
  • Green 1.25A
  • Blue 1.19A
In all cases the combined current draw (white) was less than the sum of the individual colours. This is due to voltage drop in the common wire as it has the load of all colours on it.

dropbear_luke

Full time elf
Heres a dumb question. Do these strips controlled by that remote control? If so, how interesting. I currently dont have a computer, as my laptop is dead, and likelihood of a new one in time for christmas is slim to none. So it all they need is a power supply amd a click of a remote, that would be good.

flogger7

New elf
David, which Ray Wu strip did you compare it to?

David_AVD said:

• Red 0.80A
  • Green 0.75A
  • Blue 0.75A
  • Red 0.78A
  • Green 0.70A
  • Blue 0.65A
  • Red 1.43A
  • Green 1.25A
  • Blue 1.19A

kool-lites

Full time elf
David_AVD said:

Not sure if comparing the ebay units to strip with silicon tubing is exactly fair. The tube provides a fair amount of light dispersion. It would be worth redoing and compare like with like?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
kool-lites said:
Not sure if comparing the ebay units to strip with silicon tubing is exactly fair. The tube provides a fair amount of light dispersion. It would be worth redoing and compare like with like?
The reason I compared those eBay and Ray Wu types was because they were the specific ones being bandied about in chat. The Ray Wu ones linked to are not the loose sleeve tubing. They were solid silicone that was thicker and better formed.