Cheap Option? Using a PC Monitor for "Tune To Sign"

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Hi all,

I thought I would share this possible cheap easy option for a Tune To Sign

Basically using a old PC monitor (or TV etc) and a media player and xLights effects.

Now this is not a substitute for P10 / P5 panels etc, but maybe a option for some.

Here is a quick video and description

View: https://youtu.be/ZuDviwya53g

The xLights sequence I used is here

A quick how to guide here (I may have missed a step or two, but I am sure you will work it out)

Last edited:

bretheron

Been bitten by the bug.
It is a very good option. Tune to / virtual matrix / video etc. Plus there are quite a few cheap 12v tv's out there.

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf
Nice one @OzAz was it nice and easy to set up, any steps / tips you can suggest. No butterfly effect I see Oz :)

Last edited:

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Using your sequence and how to, it took me only a few minutes to produce that. Swapped the butterfly effect to bubbles as I thought that was more appropriate :)
Of course it was super easy for me as these two monitors and media players are what I use during Halloween for the "Living Portraits". They are on a desk monitor arm, with the media player Velcro'd to the back of the monitor.
back of monitor.jpg

Dreamin

Full time elf
Thanks for this. I wasn't sure where to start with this, but I used your sequence, an old Raspberry Pi running FPP 4.2, some patience and some fiddling around with things on FPP, and it just runs the sequence back to back forever and looks great. :) The video thing probably would have been eaiser but when I have a Pi with dead wifi chip I might as well use it. :) Now I just have to build a box!