Cheap Projectors

Lishfish

Full time elf
I cant seem to find some "decent" Chinese projectors.
So my question here is where can I get some decent ish projectors for under the $100 mark just to play videos at no more than 5M? Needs a usb input. The cheaper the better. :)
I want to run a couple projectors using AtmosFEARfx at Halloween (maybe not for this year, see how things plan out in the next couple weeks). Wouldn't mind a virtual Santa this year as well.

TIA
LishFish

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
As far as I know all of those el-cheapo projectors have woeful resolution and light output.

Some will say they "1080p compatible" or similar, but the actual resolution is 640 x 480 !

They also seem to exaggerate (outright lie) about the light output. You're not going to get a 5000 Lumens projector for under $100.

Kitman

Full time elf
I agree with David on this one, the Mrs has been looking at projectors (Not for my xmas lights, god forbid she ever help me with them lol) so that we can have movie nights in our backyard and so far every one she has found that is "cheap" all say 1080p or some other fanciful resolution but when you compare the "native" resolution they all say 640 x 480... which one is it guys the numbers don't lie.

Always check the Native resolution for anything as that is the resolution it looks best at, anything else and your watching a movie on a green screen over dial up (showing my age shut up) They get away with claiming 1080p as the device will accept a 1080p input sneaky blighters.

Lishfish

Full time elf
yeah ive seen how how they catch you out with resolution, saying 1080p compatible but then saying it only does the 640 x 480?
The projectors wouldnt have to have crazy brightness on them, as long as I can get a 720p or better image on something with the projector sitting about 5m back maybe less. Most of the time it would be used at night time anyways.

Richie4540

Full time elf
I picked up two 2nd hand business grade projectors for $50 each on eBay, and use a Pi running FPP to drive each projector, it's what got me going into pixels. The bulbs aren't that bright with 1500 hours on each but they are bright enough for ghosts..
Richie

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
A second hand projector that's being sold off cheap because it's 4:3 or doesn't have HDMI can be a great way to get yourself a decent image at low cost.

Even if you have to buy a new lamp off eBay it can still work out well. I would be leery of buying one that was listed as "not working - probably needs a new lamp" though as they tend to be write-offs.

videoman3857

Full time elf
The projectors wouldnt have to have crazy brightness on them, as long as I can get a 720p or better image on something with the projector sitting about 5m back maybe less. Most of the time it would be used at night time anyways.

Most are 320 x 240 at that price tag - some may be 800 x 600- and forget about 5 mtr projection. You only get about 1000 lumens which is not too bright.
image quality will degrade the further the projection distance. Image intensity will be poor so the closer the better.
Most are "Compatible" with 720 video files

Having said that and remembering you only get what you pay for, this projector around $ 114 might suit your needs

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
I brought a dell 1080p with HDMI i/p and network connection with 6hrs on the bulb, 3500 lumens for $220 on ebay.. so there are good cheap ones out there, you just have to search and be patient.

Lishfish

Full time elf
I picked up two 2nd hand business grade projectors for $50 each on eBay, and use a Pi running FPP to drive each projector, it's what got me going into pixels. The bulbs aren't that bright with 1500 hours on each but they are bright enough for ghosts..
Richie
do you know what the native resolution on those were?

marmalade

cats & pixels
agree wholeheartedly with Fing, I found a 1080p sony with extremely low lamp hours on ebay for under $100 as part of a corporate selloff. Amazing image quality and light output.

So you just have to keep a keen eye open...gumtree as well!

scamper

Dedicated elf
Be careful that you don't get one that has a "blown lamp" I used to repair these and the reason they have a lamp hour meter and need to be changed when the meter says so, is if the lamp blows, 9 time out of 10 it will take out the power supply too. Also check the cost of replacement lamps as some of the lamps cost as much as a new projector hence the reason people sell them before it is due.
I bought 1 of these (or very similar) a few years back, purely for virtual santa. It works fine, resolution is good and brightness is acceptable.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-LED...824417?hash=item2c78c65361:g:SW0AAOSwbl5ZhYjj
Not something you would want to set up as your home theatre, but perfect for what I do with it.