Cheap Projectors

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Both of the crazysales ones are 800x480.

No mention of the real (native) resolution for the Banggood one. They suggest 1080P in some parts, but I doubt it. More likely 640x480 or 800x480.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The other important factor when discussing output with projectors is the colour output. many cheap projectors claim a high lumen output but they are only stating the white lumens. Projectors like Epson actually have the red, green and blue lumens output match that of the white lumen output, this way you get bright vivid colours as apposed to washed out colours. The lens and resolution also plays a big role here and can determine how sharp the image can be especially with larger screens
I have a $2000 Epson 4800 Lumen 1080 projector (2.5 years old) which works great even during a well lit room with sunlight coming in and the colours still come up vibrant. There are reasons why you pay $2000 compare to under $500 because there is much more to projectors then just light output.
But if its just to be used for Christmas then budget plays a very big part of it and there is no need to spend big for a projector being used for a virtual Santa.

bbayjohn

Senior elf
I would put this in the cheap category. Would be easy to hide a few in the yard.
1502606766235407448.jpg

https://www.gearbest.com/projectors/pp_619168.html

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
The Ultra Projector, not that cheap at USD $249 +$12 shipping but an interesting projector.
900 lumens, but fan-less and waterproof
Too small for whole house projection but could be great for prop projection

LightsOn81st

Apprentice elf
I keep an eye out on Craigslist and eBay throughout the year for used projectors with low to mid lamp hours. You can typically good deals them for around $75 - $150.

I find that the Epson Powerlite 80 and 90 models are pretty often available in this price range. 2000+ lumens, LAN port, HDMI (on the 90 series) and pretty cheap lamp replacement costs (check Amazon).

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I've just ordered 2 more of the "3500 lumen" LED projectors off eBay for ~$75 each. This time they claim 1280 x 800 pixel native resolution. The one I got last time (for $40 !) was only 800 x 540. They don't have image zoom, just focus and a slightly dodgy mechanical vertical keystone adjustment. I'm quite impressed with the first one I got as it's reasonably bright, the image is clear and it has VGA, HDMI, composite video inputs as well as 2 x USB ports.

tom82

New elf
I've tried and failed with those cheap projectors off Ebay.

Recently purchased a 2nd hand NEC short throw projector which had been installed at a Uni. Cost $100 and has 1500 hours left on the lamp which is tons. Brightness and image quality is far better than the cheap LED ones I'd say.

There are a lot of second hand University/auditorium projectors available for low cost.

videoman3857

Full time elf

Recently purchased a 2nd hand NEC short throw projector which had been installed at a Uni. Cost $100 and has 1500 hours left on the lamp which is tons. Brightness and image quality is far better than the cheap LED ones I'd say.

There are a lot of second hand University/auditorium projectors available for low cost.
So, are these purchased off the net ?
Do you have a link ?

LawrenceDriveLights

Senior elf

I did the same and recently purchased a
Epson EB-455Wi Ultra Short Throw Projector from Ebay.
Like this
https://www.epson.eu/products/projectors/ultra-short-distance/epson-eb-455wi

Note: The projector did not have a hdmi input but I used a hdmi to vga adapter (I was running projector from raspberry pi with fpp).
Similar story had been used in a University and according to the settings still has over 2000 hours of bulb life remaining.

I tried it out during my small Halloween display and it worked great.
Here is a pic of the (The screen was a 1800mm wide pull down cheap curtain and I was projecting onto the front of it).
View: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ui1ca0zrfwqoj9/Photo%2024-10-18%2C%208%2016%2024%20pm.jpg?dl=0

I plan on using projector for virtual santa in my doorway.