china lights

bigvic

New elf
now that the season has finished l would like to report on the lights that we bought from china. l bought 150 sets of leds, most were 24vdc version but 20 sets were the 240 volt type. l bought 5 and 10 meter lenghts and all differrent colors and am very happy to report that they performed perfectly, we had NO failers of any type, they were of good brightness and the more than average rain that we had this year DID NOT affect them. Unfortunally l needed 1 more green string and had to buy it from Big W , what a piece of crap it was, it ran for about 2 weeks and the first section died and by the end only half of it was working. It is now in the bin !!..

How did yours go dave from perth ?

XDU

Full time elf
hi bigvic, which company did you buy them from and what were the landed costs like?

Dave

Full time elf
Hi all,

This is just a quickie...
i'll add to this latter
The company was MYSOLARLED.COM Tam Kelly is the contact
And i'd say my lights were a 98% sucess rate.

More latter.

Dave

bigvic

New elf
dave is correct with the above information, but if anyone is interested mention my name , vic form austarlia and l know she does give a little more discount.
As far as pricing goes a 24v dc 100 led string 10m long cost about $9.80 aus landed here and that was when our dollar was 85 us. A 5m 24vdc 50 led string cost then about $6.50 landed, but note that these strings had no transformers or controllers. The 240v ac version were 100 led 10 m strings with controllers and lead and the cost was about $11.50 landed. This company will build your strings to whatever u require, whatever voltage , color , type of led and lengths, they also have many other products. There min order is 100 sets

Robbo

Full time elf
bigvic said:
As far as pricing goes a 24v dc 100 led string 10m long cost about $9.80 aus landed here and that was when our dollar was 85 us. A 5m 24vdc 50 led string cost then about $6.50 landed, but note that these strings had no transformers or controllers.

Vic,

Do these strings come with plugs, and if so what plugs are they using? also with the 100 string minimum order do they have to be the same type of string/colour etc? or just 100 items?

bigvic

New elf
robbo

the 24vdc strings comes with 2 wires on the end , no plugs, the 240v version does come with an australian 3 pin plug.

And no the min order of 100 strings can be anything, l had 20 sets of the 240v sets and the rest was a mixture of 5 and 10 m sets and all different colors (they have a really nice purple and pink)

fj

Apprentice elf
great to know you had success with your lights BigVic!!

as you know, i also imported some from China, only from a different supplier.

mine were also 24V DC with just bare wire ends, 10M long, 100 LEDS per string, 7.2W/4.8W per string depending on colour. 100 sets was the minimum order. out of the 120 sets i got, i had 3 that had a single section out in each.

using them over this past season, they performed great, no failures at all. my neighbours commented on how bright they were so i was very happy with them !! i had 4 mini-trees (1.2mtrs tall), each with 12 sets on them and they lit up the front of the house really well.

mine were however protected from the elements under my verandah at my house so i can't really say how the weather affected them because they saw no rain at all.

prices i paid are:

white $5.8 USD
red $4.5 USD
green $6.5 USD
blue $4.8 USD

watch out for the shipping though. these lights are heavy when you order a bunch of them and shipping can add a lot to the cost.

company was Kaxled Lighting. sales@kaxled.com - contact is Anthony.

Dave

Full time elf
O.K. got a spare couple of mins this morning and i'll go through the lights that i purchased from MYSOLARLED.COM

I purchased the same lights as Big Vic...24v dc no transformer, no controller and this is what you get.

P1360189.JPG

I purchased 151 sets and was a little over $1600 USD. I got bummed on the exchange rate as it was about $0.76 when i purchased.

Some examples of lengths and prices are below

2.5m string 50 leds red $2.07 and purple $3.52
10m string 100 leds red $4.87 and purple $7.87
13m icicle set spacing 10cm drops of 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4 etc 352 leds blue 30.57

So in actual fact what you can do is messure the lengths that you want and order made to messure light strings. I messured all my gutters and had strings and icicles made for them.

I did say earlier i had a 98% success rate, just to clarify that.

Durning the season, i had 3 sets of lights loose strings of 10 LEDs (lights out) but should be no biggy as i'll look at them when i pull them down
While putting them up i had to repair 4 sets of strings were soldered joints did not hold, no biggy.

Other than that the spacer they put between the contacts of the LED is like hot glue and melts when the heat shrink goes on has turned a yellow colour. I don't think its rust or corrosion as i have had some under cover and they have changed as well. You can only notice it cause they use a clear heat shrink.

P1360191.JPG

I was very happy with my purchase and i went this way(buying from china) to get some colour into my display, pinks and purples rather than just white, blue, red and green.
I will probably be buying another 100 sets of lights this year as well and hopefully get a better exchange rate hahaha.

Well thats about it.

Thanks

Dave

piesrule

New elf
Quick question. Can you run these 24v DC strings off a 24v AC transformer with rectifiers and resistors?
Cheers, Terry