City of Perth Christmas lights Switch On

Mike

CLAP infected!
The family attended the City of Perth's Christmas light switch on last night.
Fun was had by all. We got to see Santa on a surfboard carried by lifeguards and his sleigh.
Huge turn out for the occasion and great weather too.

Thought I would share some pictures and a video
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48131810/PB110457.MP4 RGB Led strings wrapped around the tree trunks, Hundereds of trees had these on

12m Tree with 2000 cool white LEDs on it
PB110458.JPG

Side of the Post office. The patterns change throughout the night as well as colours
PB110459.JPG

Angel hanging above the intersection. These were all over the place
PB110471.JPG

Angel was Quite bright although the camera didnt show it.
PB110464.JPG

Matrix screen was 4 modules high and 8 wide. The back end was covered so I could not show it to you. Spacing between the LEDs was about 20-25mm center to center
PB110472.JPG

Giant Bow
PB110433.JPG

Icicles alternated from white to blue
PB110466.JPG

Snow Machine in a Cherry Picker
PB110446.JPG

Confetti Cannon
PB110450.JPG

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Looks great. I haven't been to our Big Smoke (Brisbane) during Christmas for many many years, so not sure what displays are in the city centre these days.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Well done Perth. I went to Brisbane 2 years ago and the only thing we get is our Lame same old tree which the Lord Mayor turns on with his Lame pretend switch

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You know its Christmas when all the capital cities start putting on their Christmas displays, but looks like they went to some effort over their, thanks for the pics

Mike

CLAP infected!
They went to a lot of effort. All throughout the city, lights are wrapped round trees, hung up around windows, strung up along buildings, Pretty much everywhere. It was great it wasn't confined to just one area.

Forgot to add in this one
PB110467.JPG

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Is that standard LED strings "woven" in and out of plastic mesh in the foreground of that last pic?

I was thinking of making up collars for the palm tree trunks to save wrapping around each time.

Mike

CLAP infected!
No David they are RGB strings that are standard looking, and they are woven around galvanized steel mesh. Just like you would use for a creeper in the garden.

You could use the plastic mesh as a replacement I should imagine

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Are the strings clipped / tied to the mesh or woven in and out of each section?

Weaving a string in and out would take a fair bit of time I'd have thought, but I guess it would make it hard to steal!
I'm also guessing the ends of each collar are "stitched" together using some sort of zip tie?

Mike

CLAP infected!
Correct on the ends of the collar. They used stainless steel zip ties.This was probably for the vandalism factor, but normal ones would do.

The lights were woven in and out. Up and down, side to side. They basically made sure each square of the mesh was woven somehow. Again however, you could use cable ties to do it. They had a few on it but I think that was more to keep the wire tight.
If it was me I would be using the cable tie method. You would probably use a fair few, and good luck to anyone who wants to sit there for a while cutting off ties.