1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Coles Light 2012

Discussion in 'Christmas Light Shopping Bargains' started by ecbailey, Dec 7, 2012.

1. ecbailey

ecbailey Full Time Elf

Found some lights available in Coles a few days ago, ones of interesting includes 250 sets of LEDs with multifunction transformer and what appears to be a switch mode power supply similar to the kmart lights? (from memory). They appear construction wise very similar to the Big W 2011 set but with green cables and heat shrink.

They are available in cool white (only marked white) and multicoloured sets in a round plastic bucket, right next to the security guard as you walk into the store for $14 each (30% off). This equates to about 5.6c per light, which is close to the Big W lights in terms of per bulb cost as when they are 50% off on boxing day (makes them 5c each). If the coles ones where to get marked down further they would be a real bargain!

Power Suppy Specs:
    Input: Mains
    Output: 31v effective, 0.12A, I presume this is the DC measurement, which equates to around 24v AC as per Big W lights?

Pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tz6xl0gifb48zzg/mERGFtrJCy

2. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    Re: Coles Light 2013

These should be fine (with MFC cut off) on a DC controller, but don't hook them up (with supplied plug pack) to a 240V controller.

3. klanger

klanger New Elf

I too saw these last year and ended up getting most of them for $5.00 each, most I paid was $10.00 waited till close to Christmas and after, also Son works for Coles, got a discount :)
    I have tested them and they do need 31v dc to get full brightness from them.
    Can someone please advise what power supply to get for 31vdc. Do I get a 36vdc and drop the output, if so how.

Thanks Kev.

4. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    Mean Well make an SP-240-30 power supply that is adjustable from 27V to 33V. I'm not sure how far up the 27V cheapo Chinese supplies go to.

5. klanger

klanger New Elf

I have that on my shopping list I will be placing with you David, wasn't sure if it would be the right one.
    Guess it pays to read the spec sheets :)

6. kane

kane Dedicated Elf

Find Me On:
    Out of all the cheapo power supplies I have, the only one that has failed has been the one that I ran outside the "default" voltage.. Was a 27v supply that I ran at 24v.. Worked fine at 27v the first year, but dialled it down to 24v last year, and it only lasted 1 week (only being on 3-4 hours a night).

Could certainly be a coincidence, but nothing surprises me with this stuff!