community service announcement. changes to big W lights

Lenny

New elf
Not sure if it's really that relevant but Id just thought i would let you all know that BigW have changed there lights.

last year 200 led lights on 19.9m strings with 5m lead this year 200 light string 15.9m on 3m lead, Still connectable.

this year they have introduced a 600 light string on a 31m string with 3m lead. non connectable.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I almost got caught out today as I was out getting a few packs to do my Marty fans. I am using 600lights which is 60m of string leds. Went to grab the big box which is worth $59 then I noticed the length and that it didn't have a connection on the end.[/font]

franky_888

Full time elf
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing these last year. The connectable strings are only connectable up to 600 lights anyway, so they're just maxed out strings hence why there is no extension, though your total length seems a little shorter. I wonder if they're still in 10 LED groups?

Personally, I'd rather buy 3 x starter kits and have 2 spare MFC's and transformers for the sake of an extra dollar! Although it doesn't really matter to me anymore and they're all getting cut off this year :D

mbl111

New elf
At what length can we split these new strings? I know the old ones are every two meters, is it still the same?

mbl111

New elf
Just picked up a box; So for everyones information, The new 200 strings cut roughly every 1.5 meters. They also come with a 30v DC power adapter.

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
(I'm going to get in trouble again and get bounced)

We have discussed Big W strings over the last few weeks. I suggest you not buy the 600 version for 10c per lamp. Buy the 200 version at 10c per lamp and get a transformer, MFC and some sort of extra cables, and a connector.

If you have an old transformer you can easily power five strings of 1000 lamps. I'm not sure the transformers provided last year and this year are up to the job.

Each section is 10 lamps per channel. You cut where there are three wires. Very simple, cut, solder, heat-shrink.

MarcD

Full time elf
I noticed this on the weekend. Clearly, Big W are bumping up their profits by reducing the cable lengths by four metres of lights and a few metres of lead. The ones I have at home had 10 metres of lead, now they're down to three metres. The prices however, remain the same as last year. Nice one Big W.

Might be worth checking out K Mart. Their 250 light strings are only $17 and the 600 light strings re only $45.

MarcD

Full time elf
I was going past a K Mart today so thought I'd stop in and check the specs on their lights. They are as follows:

250 LED String:
Price: $17
Power supply: AC 24-36V 3.6W
Lead Length: 6 m
Lit length: 22.4 m
Bulb Spacing: 9 cm
Colours: Warm white, Cool white or Multi-Colour

600 LED String:
Price: $45
Power supply: AC 24-36V 3.6W
Lead Length: 6 m
Lit length: 30 m
Bulb Spacing: 5 cm
Colours: Warm white, Cool white or Multi-Colour

I hope that is useful to someone, especially since the K Mart I went to was in a seriously dodgy part of town. :eek:

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
MarcD said:
I hope that is useful to someone, especially since the K Mart I went to was in a seriously dodgy part of town. :eek:

So you fitted right in eh? lol

Just kidding, that's good to know about the Kmart ones.

BilboBoggles

New elf
Problem i found with the bigw lights ftom last year is that the clear plastic insulation on the icicle lights is not uv stable. Mine when dark brown after 6 weeks. The kmart lights are very fragile ive never seen copper wire that thin before, perhaps 5 strands thinner than hair...

franky_888

Full time elf
BilboBoggles said:
Problem i found with the bigw lights ftom last year is that the clear plastic insulation on the icicle lights is not uv stable. Mine when dark brown after 6 weeks. The kmart lights are very fragile ive never seen copper wire that thin before, perhaps 5 strands thinner than hair...

My clear insulated icicle lights are in their 3rd season this year and went brown after the first but are still working fine. I'm going to try and silcone / hot glue the ends up in the off season this year to try and prolong their life a little more.

Does anyone know if / where these kind of strings can be bought in the off season or cheaper than they are sold for at BIGW/Kmart? Most of the ebay specials are all kiddy killers which I have no interest in, but I missed out on raiding my local BIGW store this year around so currently I will have to buy at full price and rush to the finish line next year :(

Additional colour choices (Red / Green / Purple / Pink etc) would be great as you were able to get a few years back, surely someone somewhere still makes them?

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
I found that BigW take their lights out of the stores rather than discount them. It may be you can get them online during the year. They do offer new stock each year so perhaps there is a clear-out.

I have several sets that are about six years old. The plastic outer cover for the wires is brownish, some of the lenses are discoloured but all lamps worked this year. I take mine down in January, so they have been in the sun for six months in total.

I have a neighbour with Big W lamps of a similar vintage that he has left on a south-west facing tiled roof in full sun at Eastwood for six years. They all worked this year. I have repaired many of his strings that he puts on his lawn but that has been mechanical damage due to kids dancing on the lamps.

If members feel it important I would be prepared to contact Woolworth and ask them to maintain a quality product and not reduce the length/gauge of cable between the transformer and the first lamp. R

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
franky_888 said:
Does anyone know if / where these kind of strings can be bought in the off season or cheaper than they are sold for at BIGW/Kmart? Most of the ebay specials are all kiddy killers which I have no interest in, but I missed out on raiding my local BIGW store this year around so currently I will have to buy at full price and rush to the finish line next year :(

I can tell you Kmart do not sell christmas lights during the year and all remaining stock after Dec 25th is marked down to clear within 48 hours if possible. Garden section is mainly solar lights too.