Computer Requirements

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I'm currently running my show off a laptop using LSP. For the moment I'm OK as i will still only have 200 or channels to play with. I'd like to know if some of you guys playing with the high channel counts have had to give your computers heart transplants
Eventually i think i will be running a dedicated computer with a couple of video cards on board.

Toshiba Laptop
Windows XP SP3
Intel core 2 duo P8600 @ 2.4GHz
2.99GB Ram

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
It will be interesting to see what kind of requirements LSP 2 will need (I assume that'll be out by light season this year).

I have a 2nd hand dedicated computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2Ghz and 1024mb ram. It will run LOR S2 with 128 channels and stream a webcam to ustream at the same time ok.

dmoore

Senior elf
I've been playing with the LSP 2.0 beta and I can assure you that it is faster on things like mutli-thousand channel sequences when using transitions. Overall it seems to not suffer from "stumbling". This testing has been on a not-to-fancy laptop.

David Johnson indicated this video showing the speed in LSP 2.0 can be shared:

LightShow Pro v2 features

taybrynn

Apprentice elf
Looks VERY VERY encouraging !!!

I love everything he showed and it appears much faster and the undo/redo ... yes !!!

I just hope we get these critical bug fixes free, for those of us who bought in the last year and were not able to use the program in its 1.8.x form ...

I really don't expect unlimited new features for free, but I did expect a usable program in the first place and didn't get that, IMHO ... so like most paid software, I'd expect free updates for 12 months, which seems standard ... and has been promised on the LSP boards.

To the thread OP, my quad-cord machine with 4GB could not handle LSP either, so I think it was the last of multi-core support and a bunch of other inefficiencies that was bogging it down. The new file format of 1/10 of the size of previously ... has got to be helping a lot.

dmoore

Senior elf
taybrynn said:
I really don't expect unlimited new features for free, but I did expect a usable program in the first place and didn't get that, IMHO ... so like most paid software, I'd expect free updates for 12 months, which seems standard ... and has been promised on the LSP boards.

To the thread OP, my quad-cord machine with 4GB could not handle LSP either, so I think it was the last of multi-core support and a bunch of other inefficiencies that was bogging it down. The new file format of 1/10 of the size of previously ... has got to be helping a lot.

From inital views of 2.0, there are not really any new "major" features, most seems to be under the covers work - which is exactly what LSP needed, back to the basics.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I enjoyed watching the optimization bit in the video a lot faster and more in the background where it should have been to start with.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Performance has definetly been increased dramatically when dealing with many channels. On saying that i do believe though that if your running over 5000 channels through a dual core 3ghz system it may still be a bit slow for some (but not unuseable) but then those systems are a few years old now and if you want to keep up with the latest and greatest then you would have to consider the processing capabilities of the computer your running. Its like any other software, the more demand on the software the more processing power required.

But my initial playing around with LSP 2 has definetly shown me we are headed in the right direction, copy and paste and undo and redo seem to be working great which was a bug bear for many.