Confused on options.

Binkles

Full time elf
Ok, I have been leaning towards pixels and Dumbs over the renard system, though after seeing dave's display tonight, i could still go the renard way.

Anyways that's not the issue here...

The 2 port version says it can control 4 universes of 170 pixels, does that mean the 8 handles 16 universes and the 12 24?

For a 2.5 metre arch, what sort of pixel spacing would you suggest, or would you use the strip type?

I'm think of going a 2 port version to build my first item, the leaping arches, but I'm really worried how bright the led are. I'm heading down to port Kennedy sat night to have a look at the display.

I was also then thinking of getting a ray wu 27 channel for my dumbies to build the likes of snowmen etc.

Thanks in advance for any help, I've found this site ultra informative.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
No - the P2 is unique in handling 4 universes per output. The PixAD8 and P12R support just 170 pixels (1 universe) per output

Binkles

Full time elf
I knew I had seen a chart somewhere! Thank you thank you.

Next obvious question...

The ad8 and p2 are similar in pixels etc, universes... What is the big difference between the two?

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
The pixad8 has 8 individual outputs that are fused and can only drive one universe of pixels.

The p2 has 2 individual outputs that are not fused and can drive 4 universes of pixels each.

The fuses offer protection to the board and power supply if you try to drive too many amps thorough it (ie shorted wire or too many lights on a string).

Now you many be thinking the P2 is better value then (and it is) however if a pixel dies in the first universe of a P2 output, all pixels after it will not work. Potentially the next 3 universes will be dead.

If a pixel dies on a pixad8 only 1 universe is affected.

I personally use P2s just because I can fix pixel issues quickly in my display and the cost is cheaper.

Edit: also it is cheaper to keep spares of the P2s :)

Kaden

Binkles said:
Of course 4 universes, the product sheet said 8, doh.

The P2 has 2 outputs, both can output 4 universes each. So the P2 is capable of a total of 8 universes.

Binkles

Full time elf
Ok another question, sorry...

Can these drive dumb rgb?

I know you could sequence a string to act dumb, but can it drive a dumb?

I'm guessing not, and thinking need to look at the avd for those?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Correct, a pixel controller will only drive intelligent pixel strings or strips. To drive plain (dumb) DC strings or strips, you'd use a DC controller.

Binkles said:
Can these drive dumb rgb?

I know you could sequence a string to act dumb, but can it drive a dumb?

I'm guessing not, and thinking need to look at the avd for those?

Kaden

Binkles said:
Thank you. I'm a learning.

And asking lots of questions, which is the fastest way to learn!

Keep them coming, we are all more than happy to help.

Binkles

Full time elf
I've been quite sick the last few days, today struggling to get out of bed, but managed to see a couple of displays, but none using rgb, so it's hard to tell spacing a required etc for lighting, so hard to work out costs.

I'm hoping to recover enough to make it to port Kennedy tomorrow.

It has been a blessing being sick, I've spent all of today researching and have been narrowing down options.

When I first started, I was aiming at the renards, then dmx, but the more I look at the Joshua system, the better bang for $, for the flexibility.

Sorting out powering and adding more power down the line is still confusing me, but I can look at that once I get an order in for some lights and the initial p2.

I've kind of got in my head, what I want as a display for 2013, now to set about a plan.

I'll ask my next questions in the general area, as they don't pertain to Joshua.