Connecting ACL Mk2 strobes

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The attached document is primarily to suit the ACL Mk2 strobes purchased in the 2015 bulk buy but most of the theory suits all of the ACL strobes. Wiring/drawing conventions I used were black for negative/0V and red for positive. For mains I've used blue and brown to match Australia's wiring colours used for extension lead Neutral and Line/Active wires.
There's connection drawings for 5V DC, 12V DC, relay connections and AC connections.

Attachments

• Connecting ACL Mk2 strobes.pdf
    771.1 KB · Views: 60

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Thanks once again Alan for helping to organise the strobes. As I don't have a 5v PSU (I have a few 12v) I'll need a buck converter - is there a preferred type to use? If you have a link that would be great, thanks.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Morning Alan,

One point about the >5 drawings... you should show the 5V supplies as being permanently powered either as AC-DC convertors or as DC-DC convertors.

Testing by some of the US guys on powering the DC-DC 5V buck convertors from the 12V controllers showed the buck DC-DC convertors spiking to at least 7v which is bad.

Cheers
Phil

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
AussiePhil said:
Testing by some of the US guys on powering the DC-DC 5V buck convertors from the 12V controllers showed the buck DC-DC convertors spiking to at least 7v which is bad.

I wonder if that was with a load or not?

You could probably clamp those spikes with a zener diode if they are brief and don't contain a lot of energy.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
I drew the drawings as generic drawings for the most part but I definitely wouldn't be attempting to turn on and off a buck converter with the output of a dc dimmer. Aside from the possibility of overshoot to 7V as people seem to have measured the inrush current of a buck converter is quite likely to kill the mosfet output given enough attempts to do it.