1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Connecting and controlling a single (for now) stepper motor?

Discussion in 'DMX, E1.31 & Networking' started by Macboy, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Macboy

Macboy New Elf

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's run across this but in all the searching done by myself and a friend of mine we're not coming up with anything definitive. All I want to do is control the rotation of a stepper motor (NEMA 17/23) through XLights as part of my display. What do I need in order to make this happen? I'm running Ron's Holiday Lights 4 universe controllers and ESP Wifi sticks.

Do I need to connect the DMX outputs on the controller to a DMX specific controller and if so - what is this controller? I've seen lots of arduino references - do I need to build up an Arduino to act as a controller?

I've watched and rewatched the Canispater Christmas moving head light but he's using a Falcon F16v3 controller which may have capability my controller does not?

2. burnt

burnt Apprentice Elf

yes u will need a controller like Arduino and maybe a dmx shield. that's controlled by a controller that's outputting dmx.

the way I control motors in my display is Arduino but it gets its inputs from 2811 pixel signal using this controller http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/2811dc15/

3. OzAz

OzAz Senior Elf Generous Elf

Don't know about those controllers, link?

Is the stepper motor just on off, or variable speed? If just on/off a cheap DMX relay board may be all you need if those (rons) boards have a dmx output

4. drakky

drakky Full Time Elf

pixel2things dc controller I think will do it check out can control 6 servos
    thinks the servo is a pixel just connect to your string of lights
    Board Type Pixel2DC/DC9S6
    Input Pixel Type Any WS2811 Pixel
    Input Pixel Voltages 5V, 12V or 24V
    Output Data Types WS2811 & DMX
    # of DMX Channels Output 480
    DC Voltage 5V - 30V
    # of DC Inputs 1
    # of DC Outputs 9
    Supported Servo Types 50hz Frequency
    1ms - 2ms Pulse Width
    5V or 6V Signal
    5V - 36V Servo Power
    # of Servo Power Inputs 1
    # of Servo Outputs 6
    # of Pixels/Nodes Consumed 5
    # of Channels Consumed 15
    Board Max Amps / Fuse Size 10A max per board
    Output Max Amps 5A max per output

https://www.pixel2things.com/9-DC-6-Servo-Outputs-Fully-Assembled-p137348805

5. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass! Community Project Designer Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    The OP is talking about stepper motors which are a very different beast to servo or DC motors.

The easiest way would be to find a stepper motor control board with DMX input and drive that with the DMX output on your pixel controller.