Connecting Controllers

Shane

New elf
Hi Folks

We are moving house, and as usual the garden needs to satisfy certain Christmas Light Requirements.

I have positioned several conduits around the yard, providing power and network connections throughout the yard before the pouring of driveway concrete is starting.

My question, do you need to Daisy Chain the controllers or can you connect them in a Star Arrangement with one common connetion point provided inside. This would save me running cables to and from the four corners of the yard.

Any help would be appreciated

Shane
Camden, NSW

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Hi Shane.

What sort of controllers do you have now or are you looking into future installations. things like light-o-rama controllers run linked into each other. but there is certainly DMX systems here that can run back to a central location or connect linked in and out of each other.

Greg Young

New elf
LOR units require daisy chaining in a given (single) network, but you can use ELLs (easy light linkers) which will provide wireless connectivity that can connect your main system to a number of others, giving you a STAR pattern...

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If your using DMX controllers you can either daisy chain or you can use a DMX splitter to instead send out to each controller. E1.31 controllers are not daisy chained but are distributed using a common computer network switch. Using LOR they can be daisy chained or if you choose to use more usb network dongles then you can get better distribution that way. There are many alternatives and im sure one will suit you

Shane

New elf
Ahhh, finally got back.
Thanks for all the input

I am using the DC CMB16D controllers, sorry no DMX

I wonder what would happen if I was to connect them all up in a star pattern (build a hub) and plug them all in.
Wonder of it would work ..... anyone tried it.

I will check out the radio links, although I just saw the price, yikes

Thanks again
Shane

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Depending on the cable lengths and data rate, a star topology may work just fine. High speeds (DMX for example) don't play well with a star configuration.