Consumables and Tools?

Slite

Full time elf
So, I'm starting to put together the "kit" I need to get all my controllers, builds, items, strings etc etc built. What hit me though is ... I will most likely go through heaps of shrink tube and cable ties.

So question is... What dimensions should I get? What diameter on the shrink tube, what length x width on cable ties etc. Any other "consumables" that is good to have?

Plastic bags/foil etc etc?

Basicly, what should a starter kit as far as things that you will use TONS of consist of :)

BTW, the answer to this would be a nice addition to the recently published ACLCLFD :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Re: Consumables?

2mm and up heatshrink is a good start. I have a bit of a preference for clear heatshrink when it can be used as you can see the joint under it and also the clear heatshrink that i use seems to be almost rubberised and creates a better job than the usual black, red etc.

Cable ties are going to suit whatever application you're using. i personally normally have a few thousand 100mm and a few hundred 150mm and 200mm floating around. the biggest thing to look out for is that fact that the clear/white/natural cable ties are generally not UV stabilised and will break down after only a few weeks or months in the sun.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

Slite said:
So, I'm starting to put together the "kit" I need to get all my controllers, builds, items, strings etc etc built. What hit me though is ... I will most likely go through heaps of shrink tube and cable ties.

So question is... What dimensions should I get? What diameter on the shrink tube, what length x width on cable ties etc. Any other "consumables" that is good to have?

Plastic bags/foil etc etc?

Basicly, what should a starter kit as far as things that you will use TONS of consist of :)

BTW, the answer to this would be a nice addition to the recently published ACLCLFD :)

I do have plans on adding a basic tools and equipment section to the manual which can include all the staple consumables. Give it a few weeks first before i get back into it but a great suggestion. Thanks

Slite

Full time elf

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
I do have plans on adding a basic tools and equipment section to the manual which can include all the staple consumables. Give it a few weeks first before i get back into it but a great suggestion. Thanks

Yes, thats all well and good... but first, spend some time with your family.. or Phil WILL spank your bum and call you shirley!

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf

I use 3mm heatshrink for single cable to cable joins, 6mm for one cable to a number, or for thicker wire joins. I have plans on getting some 9/10mm and maybe 12mm at a later stage from China. I prefer a heatgun to shrink the solder too, rather than the lighter trick. Decent thin solder, 0.8mm and 2mm here, the thin one is for working on boards, and the thicker one for tinning and joining wires.

I also buy decent Electrical tape, and UV rated cableties in bulk... almost need more cableties soon - on my last 1000 pack of small ones lol

As for as tools, which are not really consumable, but deserve a note, my main kit consists of:
small sidecutters (Cutting, stripping fine wires)
Wire stripper (Handles wires up to 4mm, but alas mine wont strip cat 5 cores)
Cat 5 crimper (All in one tool that strips, crimps, cuts etc. I use the stripper for stripping cat 5, even scoring the covers of other leads to strip them)
Edit: Kinda forgot - a decent temperature controller soldering iron too. I paid about $70 for my last couple, but splurged out and bought a good one this time after the last one died - should arrive today and I'll be putting a post up on it when I get time to thoroughly test it

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Re: Consumables & Tools

I am having a rest but would like to get the ground work done by asking members to add information they feel should be added into the manual regarding what are important consumables and tools.

I have changed the name of the thread to now include tools as they are just as inportant as the consumables

So feel free to throw your suggestions in, Thanks Lithgow for your input.