Controller suggestions for starting out (besides Falcon)

Lowbridge

New elf
"a lot on LEDs specifically dumb versus smart"
For the cost difference and control possibilities, while dumb pixels have their uses, smart pixels are a better choice.

"power supplies meanwell seems to be the top-of-the-line"
A good choice. Quite a few individuals use their LRS supplies. I prefer the RSP models.

"And I was only wondering where to get the equipment necessary to complete my little show and if anyone had any suggestions or sites."
ACL has a supplier list, in the Wiki I think. For the USA, check Wally's Lights (MI I think). Wired Watts, and RBG Man (Utah) for pixels. I'd avoid the Amazon ones. For coro props: Gilbert Engineering or Boscoyo Studios.
Awesome once again please forgive my Ignorance on the subject as I’m finding out that all those awesome looking homes with LEDs it’s not just plugging in an Extension cord. Well I learned how to walk so I’ll learn this

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
@Lowbridge welcome to ACL. As you have stated you are quite new to the hobby, have you downloaded and read through the 101 manual as yet to get an understanding of the hobby overall?

Whilst your original question was around a controller, there are a number of other things to consider including (but not limited to)
Cable/wire, connectors/pigtails, fusing options, PSUs, enclosures (and subsequently cable glands, vents), pixels, mounting hardware and solutions (coro props for example) tools such as wire cutters, heat shrink etc etc.

Dont want to try and scare you off, just making sure you get the best knowledge and make informed decisions along the way.
You've made the first step by joining ACL, arguably one of the best one-stop-shop locations on the internet for the hobby, plenty of help around whenever you need to ask :)

Lowbridge

New elf
this is true definitely not just plugging in a cord. Tools and all the components I have it’s the knowledge of this hobby that I don’t.. but that will come. I’m getting familiar with all of what you described. The area of lack of knowledge will be I think getting the hardware to work together and I start the sequencing that’s when I’ll really be in the dark, but my credo is I learned to walk I can do this…with help! Thank you for your all your insight I’m really excited to begin turning my show into LEDs it only took five years to convince my wife that LEDs last longer and look better she’s just afraid that I’ve found another money Pitt

i13

Dedicated elf
Fibre optic data between the controller and pixels is not something that I have heard of. From memory, Fing (ACL member) was looking into fibre optic networking between the show player (which is probably a computer for you) and the controllers. This was after his display was struck by lightning and it travelled through his Ethernet cables that linked the network together.

What do you want to achieve with fibre optic? There is probably another way to achieve the result that you want and hence fibre optic has not caught on.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Question: can fiber optic be used for data?
Could be but not really economical to implement. A converter for the Data Line is the problem (none currently exist that I know of) and then too if a string is powered from the controller. For Data Line distances it is more feasible to use a receiver providing of course if the controller has expansion the capabilities.

There are Ethernet to fiber converters available, so from a PC to a controller fiber is possible. The adapters I have looked at aren't exactly cheap though.

Lowbridge

New elf
Could be but not really economical to implement. A converter for the Data Line is the problem (none currently exist that I know of) and then too if a string is powered from the controller. For Data Line distances it is more feasible to use a receiver providing of course if the controller has expansion the capabilities.

There are Ethernet to fiber converters available, so from a PC to a controller fiber is possible. The adapters I have looked at aren't exactly cheap though.
Fibre optic data between the controller and pixels is not something that I have heard of. From memory, Fing (ACL member) was looking into fibre optic networking between the show player (which is probably a computer for you) and the controllers. This was after his display was struck by lightning and it travelled through his Ethernet cables that linked the network together.

What do you want to achieve with fibre optic? There is probably another way to achieve the result that you want and hence fibre optic has not caught on.
I just thought maybe data transfer would be more seamless without F amps I think if I I’m getting that right