Converting from LOR

Slam

New elf
Hi gurus,

I've spent the past few years building up LOR assets like controllers, S5 software and pixels because I wanted a simple and easy show (yes I know, too late). I'm now starting to look at xLights because I am hitting some limitations in what I can do with the LOR software. It's also very clunky when you want to use their "superstar sequencer" add in. But based on a week of playing around I am having second thoughts.

I've started some basic work to get a Pixie2 controller working but I am concerned if I invest a lot of time and effort 'converting' all my sequences to xLights that I might have some 'show stopper' issues. For example, I have a CMB24D (24 channel controller for 8 RGB floods) and I cannot see how to add this in. I also would love to simply import my sequences to xLights rather that recreate them to save a lot of work. I read that sequences that use the 'motion' effect (which I use a lot of) won't work.

I've scoured these forums, online videos, xLight help files. It's all fairly limited in helping someone who has a lot of pretty new LOR assets.

I'm interested to find someone who has recent (e.g. version S5) work done in LOR with LOR assets/controllers (multiple Pixie16/ 8, CMB24D) etc. and has sucessfully moved over to xLights. I'd probably pick your brain a lot so if you don't want me asking you questions, probably don't reply :).

I'm going to the EXPO this weekend but there isn't a lot on this topic of course so posting here. Maybe if you are going to the EXPO I can chat with you there.

Thanks in advance!

Bocephus

New elf
Hey Slam just like you I'm looking to do the same thing.

We run 16 LOR AC boxes, one dumb RGB tree, one dumb RGB arches, and one Pixie 4 set of arches. Like you I'm looking to go down the rabbit hole with Xlights. Can you share your experience? I'm thinking of approaching this as building a separate PC, and doing the conversion on the new PC. Then running the show on the new PC so that I don't affect the current show. I did find this video on how to set up the configuration, and trying to learn before spending funds.

Other issues I might see down the road is that our show spans across four homes so doing any sort of preview will be difficult. Also we aren't even on S5 in LOR since this is technically my neighbor's show. I just sort of took over the programming side of it. I did find this video on how to do it:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2lDFfDTCq0

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

freddy

New elf
Hi Guys, this may and probably is a question that has been asked before if so I can handle the scours I use LOR :)
Can you still use the cosmic coloured ribbon controller's via x lights?
I have a LOR mega tree that is cosmic ribbon that uses its own controllers per ribbon.
Just wondering if the setup in xlights would be the same for these as the LOR AC controllers etc.
I want to transition across next year.

i13

Dedicated elf
If you want to control LOR's CCRs, they use (or at least they have in the past) LPDD6803 strip. I have not actually seen a CCR myself but if you remove the strip and use it with a separate power supply and controller, it is simply a LPD6803 pixel strip that can be used with a controller that supports LPD6803.

If your LOR dumb controllers (including AC ones) can use DMX then that would be a way to include them in a pixel/xLights setup. You'll lose the LOR-specific effects (twinkle/shimmer) but xLights can generate some similar ones. Notenoughlights is correct; some pixel controllers output DMX signal for the LOR controllers to use. The thing to watch out for is the wiring standard in the Cat5 cable carrying the DMX. DMX signal only uses three of the eight wires in a Cat5 cable. LOR hardware uses a different three wires to most DMX sources including pixel controllers. Some pixel controllers let you set this with jumpers. If yours doesn't then you're likely to need to make a conversion cable or buy an adaptor: https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/lor-esta_adaptor/

freddy

New elf
Thankyou, I see a lot of posting about controlling dumb pixels and ac / dc lor ones. I happy to loose a few lor functions in the end to have more freedom and control.
It was more the mega tree I have repaired and built that is ccr controlled that I'd love to retain but in the end maybe I need to just re configure and make a new one. If I get time latter in year I may try testing different options.

freddy

New elf
I read in one of the threads that LOR 16 channel controllers can run half at 240vac and the other half at 24vac I have found some lights that are 36v ac rope light no controller if I run 36vac power supply insyead of a 24v and as a direct connection to these rope light the same as the 240v I can use the same functions pre programed onto lor box an rapid switching?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I would avoid mixing 240 mains and any other lower voltages on the same PCB that were initially designed to run 240V as you don't know what the insulation/isolation is like between the inputs. Last thing you want is to have 240V referenced to ground on your expected 36V output.