Cutting Coro

Gilrock

Full time elf
I'm in the middle of building a new 4x4 CNC Router I bought. I'm mainly going to be doing wood projects but of course I had the idea I could use it to make some Coro props I have in mind. Has any cut Coro with a CNC? I was wondering what type of bit I would use.

Thanks,
Gil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
David Moore of holidaycoro.com has built a business around using his CNC for creating elements using coro

Gilrock

Full time elf
Yeah I'd love to hear how he does the cuts. I promise I'm not planning on making a business out of it. :)

The main thing I want to try to design and cut is a big 3d star to go high on the roof to be seen from all directions. I'm thinking of something with a lot of points like I used to see hanging on porches. I googled and found they are called Moravian stars. I thought it would be cool to have one like four feet tall and each star spike could be controllable to a different color.

Gil

mborg10

Michael Borg
From the cnc machines I have seen on youtube cutting coro they use a cutting blade not a rotating tip. So basically it's still like use a razor blade but letting the machine hold it instead of a hand.

talk2coxie

Full time elf
CopperCreekLights said:
The main thing I want to try to design and cut is a big 3d star to go high on the roof to be seen from all directions. I'm thinking of something with a lot of points like I used to see hanging on porches. I googled and found they are called Moravian stars. I thought it would be cool to have one like four feet tall and each star spike could be controllable to a different color.

Gil

Do you mean something like this???
http://www.moravianstars.com/videos.htm

Those would be one hell of a construction but would look amazing, good luck with that :)

I'm sure David Moore uses a router bit (cutter) of some sort as you can hear it running in his demo videos.

I would suggest a "LH spiral" or "down cut spiral" to push the corro onto the machine bed as opposed to it trying to lift it up (with a RH spiral) or push it away with a straight fluted cutter.

Gilrock

Full time elf
Thanks for the suggestions. I couldn't find David's videos but I did stumble onto this video which looks like the way I want to do it. It also confirmed that I really want to buy the Aspire software.
Cutting Vinyl and Coroplast with a Donek Drag Knife

I think I will start with something simpler than that 26 point star design. Maybe use it to cutout Shell's snowpeople. :)

Gil

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
coxie,
picture each one of them points with a square 4led pixel for the 62 points,
now i got you wanting one even more.. where do we get the parts??
:D

talk2coxie said:
CopperCreekLights said:

Gil

Do you mean something like this???
http://www.moravianstars.com/videos.htm

Those would be one hell of a construction but would look amazing, good luck with that :)

I'm sure David Moore uses a router bit (cutter) of some sort as you can hear it running in his demo videos.

I would suggest a "LH spiral" or "down cut spiral" to push the corro onto the machine bed as opposed to it trying to lift it up (with a RH spiral) or push it away with a straight fluted cutter.

talk2coxie

Full time elf
CopperCreekLights said:
I'm in the middle of building a new 4x4 CNC Router I bought.

Hi Gil,

Have you got any links to the Router you bought? I have looked into this before but am curious as to what you bought

Cheers, Coxie

arw01

Full time elf
CopperCreekLights said:
I'm in the middle of building a new 4x4 CNC Router I bought. I'm mainly going to be doing wood projects but of course I had the idea I could use it to make some Coro props I have in mind. Has any cut Coro with a CNC? I was wondering what type of bit I would use.

Thanks,
Gil

Gil, you might be my new best buddy! Need pics of the CNC router of course too. I would think a 3/16" or even 1/8" spiral compression bit would work fine. Depending on how many pieces you were going to do. I was considering making a drawing or two and bolting a few sheets of coro together and visiting the local water jet cutter. Get an slow week run when they don't have a full schedule.

Alan

Gilrock

Full time elf
I bought this CNC kit...it's the 4x4 PRO version:
http://www.cncrouterparts.com/pro4848-4-x-4-cnc-router-kit-p-251.html

After adding a stand, the Nema 34 electronics enclosure, and other accessories the bill was above $7700. But I had just finally sold my old house that had been on the market 2.5 years so I burned some of the proceeds on this since I've always wanted one. Now the problem is I really want to buy the Aspire software package but it's near $2000.

I'm near done building it and just took a couple photos last night but didn't get a chance to offload the photos from the iPad.

Gil

talk2coxie

Full time elf
CopperCreekLights said:
I bought this CNC kit...it's the 4x4 PRO version:
http://www.cncrouterparts.com/pro4848-4-x-4-cnc-router-kit-p-251.html

After adding a stand, the Nema 34 electronics enclosure, and other accessories the bill was above $7700. But I had just finally sold my old house that had been on the market 2.5 years so I burned some of the proceeds on this since I've always wanted one. Now the problem is I really want to buy the Aspire software package but it's near $2000.

I'm near done building it and just took a couple photos last night but didn't get a chance to offload the photos from the iPad.

Gil
Looks superb Gil, very envious :) I wish I had the room at home (and resources) for such a toy. Looking forward to seeing what you can create once all up and running.

Be sure to keep the pics and updates coming. Cheers Coxie