da_Start: DMX Start Adress Setter

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
On the weekend, I whipped up a little application called da_Start. It's on the AVD web site.

screenshot_main.png

This tool allows you to use an "DMX Open" dongle to set the start channel on my DC24 / DC48 DC controllers as well as the Tiger 48 / 120 DC controllers.

Operation is pretty simple.
  • Plug your open DMX dongle into the PC
  • Connect the DC controller to the DMX dongle
  • Run the da_Start application
  • Select the correct dongle from the list at top (not required if only one detected)
  • Choose the type of controller (Board Type)
  • Set the desired start channel
  • Click the Open Port button to start sending the data via the dongle
  • Follow the (separate) instructions for your controller
  • All done!
If you forget to connect the dongle before running da_Start, plug it in and wait about 5 seconds before pressing the Rescan button to update the list at the top.

The CH1 and CH2 labels at the bottom right show what DMX values da_Start will send for the selected board type and start address.

I hope to add DMX Pro dongle support soon.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
I gave this little app a run over the weekend and it makes programming the DC48's a breeze. The full notes for programming the DC48 and 24 are on the wiki in the controller section. Basically it involves pumping out the data that this app produces while powering up the board while the programming button is pressed.
A quick heads up to those who may fall into the same trap as me. Only 1 app at a time can access the dongle. This means that either this app or the LOR comm listener (which pumps out the dmx for LOR) can access it but not both. You'll have to close whichever you aren't using. The same probably follows with Vixen and LSP.

Great work again Dave

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
David

Thank you for including the Tiger series into the da_Start utility.

For the T series ensure the target controller is powered up and receiving DMX, choose controller and start channel in da_Start, click open port and then on the controller press the button, Only a momentary press is required and the controller will execute a reset when it stores the new start channel.

Cheers
Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
cenote said:

These dont have the ability to set a start address unless you have the appropriate programmer which from what ive heard is not cheap. You can specify to ray if you need specific start addresses.
Just use them as start address 1, the next one will in line will be still start address 1 but because the previous controller strips off the channels then you just put the second one inline. This is ok if they are 128 or 256 channel controllers but if they are 512 channel controllers then this will take up the whole universe.
So effectively a 128 channel controller will strip off 128 channels and then send out channel 1 to the next controller which in the sequencing software is seen as being channel 129 but in fact the controller is seeing channel 1 as the data from the first controller has been stripped off.

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Just use them as start address 1, the next one will in line will be still start address 1 but because the previous controller strips off the channels then you just put the second one inline. This is ok if they are 128 or 256 channel controllers but if they are 512 channel controllers then this will take up the whole universe.
So effectively a 128 channel controller will strip off 128 channels and then send out channel 1 to the next controller which in the sequencing software is seen as being channel 129 but in fact the controller is seeing channel 1 as the data from the first controller has been stripped off.

Don't exactly follow ya. Lets say I have only two of the mentioned controllers hooked up. Each controller only has Ten (10) pixels on them. Is it possiable to run them in series on same DMX dongle and than you would address them as channels 1-30 or channels 1-60 on the same universe? Or am I out in left field, and just have ray program them with different start addresses?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
cenote said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:

Don't exactly follow ya. Lets say I have only two of the mentioned controllers hooked up. Each controller only has Ten (10) pixels on them. Is it possiable to run them in series on same DMX dongle and than you would address them as channels 1-30 or channels 1-60 on the same universe? Or am I out in left field, and just have ray program them with different start addresses?

How many channels are each controller? not how many are connected to it.

A 128 channel controller will use up 128 channels and then send out channel 129 as channel 1

But if you have ony 30 channels used per controller then there is nothing stopping you from adding something at the same channel range that is not used as the unused channels wont do anything if you have only 30 channels used. The important thing though is to make sure that physically these controllers end up at the end of the chain if you are using other types of DMX controllers with these controllers

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
But if you have ony 30 channels used per controller then there is nothing stopping you from adding something at the same channel range that is not used as the unused channels wont do anything if you have only 30 channels used. The important thing though is to make sure that physically these controllers end up at the end of the chain if you are using other types of DMX controllers with these controllers

That makes sense, thanks

dmoore

Senior elf

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Version 1.4.0.0 of da_Start is now available. As well as Open DMX dongles, it now supports Enttec DMX Pro dongles and E1.31 - DMX bridges such as the DR4, etc.

Baf05

Full time elf
just trying to set my second board up, and well frankly, I do not under stand the instructions :( ....

... and I tried to download the da_start program and it wont run! TOPS!

somedays I should just stay in bed, BAH HUMBUG! hehe

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
In what way doesn't it run?
Pretty easy to use once it does run. It does require that a USB is used. As far as I know there is no E1.31 support with it.
Select the dongle
Set the start address that is required
Open the port which starts the dongle communicating
Ensure power to the board is turned off and has been off for long enough for the voltage to fall to zero (ish)
Hold down the button on the DC24, DC48 or Tiger***
Power up the board
Job is done

Baf05

Full time elf
the program simply wont open on my computer?
The latest version also has support for a D4