da_Visualiser

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I started this project (called da_Visualiser) on Saturday and have it working in a basic way. What it is, is a software tool to visualise incoming DMX data, whether it's from a hardware dongle or an E1.31 stream. It does not generate any DMX data - it's a viewer only.

Anyway, so far I have it so you can add pixels to the screen, move them about and add a background image. The pixels are sizable, but only all at once right now. You can can also choose round or square pixels, but again not on an individual basis. You can save and load project files which are in xml format.

Llinks to some quick videos I made of an early version:
http://www.screencast.com/t/cvwxQBw4bT
http://www.screencast.com/t/uZG9XwC7QRAW

My plans are to add size and shape editing of individual pixels, add some image display options, allow monochrome / RGB pixel selection, non-contiguous channel numbering, etc.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Status update. Can now:
  • Add, delete and move pixels around easily
  • Change the shape of each pixel (round or square)
  • Change the size of each pixel
  • Assign a start address to each pixel (can share addresses or overlap too)
  • Load a background image and toggle it on/off
  • Save and load layouts to disk
I have it working with E1.31 input reliably and DMX Pro dongle not so reliably.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I have used it a few times to visualise some custom DMX driven signs. Going further would mean I'd have to spend a lot more hours on it and then support it and I just can't do that at present.

Too many freeware projects tend to suck up time better spent with family, etc. I've had to rethink what I get involved with these days as I need to earn a living too.