Daisy chaning the ECG-P2

nato595

Let's do this!
Forgive me if any of my terminology is incorrect.
I am wondering if it is possible, with no/little downfall to daisy chain the P2 controllers?
If my project calls for two P2 controllers and they are both 75 feet from my computer and switch, I'd like to avoid running two 75' CAT5 cables. Or is this a big no-no for some reason?

Here is a pic of what I believe to be the 'normal' setup..
P2normal.jpg

Here is a pic of what I'm wondering if is possible, what I'd like to accomplish.
P2daisy.jpg

Thanks in advance!

remoteutah

Full time elf
Those splitters don't really handle DATA very well, and have seen corrupted feeds on networks. You can cascade switches, so just put a dumb network switch out further that can connect both P2's and then run a 75 ft line to another switch that is also connected to your network.

I chopped up your photo to show...
P2normal_cascade.jpg

nato595

Let's do this!
I figured there must have been a reason why splitters aren't used in computer networking, thanks for the drawing, that makes total sense!

dannyp

Full time elf
This may sound stupid, but why wouldnt you just run the Cat5 straight to the switch and bypass the switch that is on the top right of the picture? Is it something to do with the distance?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
DannyP said:
This may sound stupid, but why wouldnt you just run the Cat5 straight to the switch and bypass the switch that is on the top right of the picture? Is it something to do with the distance?

I think what the example is showing that you can cascade switches, so the first switch is used for initial distribution, the second switch is used so only one run of CAT5 is needed

nato595

Let's do this!
You are both correct, haha
It was just a scaled down example. In theory the first switch would cascade to a number of close devices AND another long dustance switch.

kane

Dedicated elf
Given you can buy a 5-port switch very cheaply (such as this one for $10 which includes power supply, enclosure, packaging etc), there's obviously not a lot of electronics involved in these.

Wonder what would be involved with the P2/Pixad8/P12 etc being adapted to have a second port, to allow daisy-chaining of ethernet.. A bit like many IP phones that offer this facility (to save you having to run 2 cat5 to each desk)

Or what about a 3-port switch on a basic PCB - surely there'd only be a few dollars of parts involved?

remoteutah

Full time elf
Kane said:
Given you can buy a 5-port switch very cheaply (such as this one for $10 which includes power supply, enclosure, packaging etc), there's obviously not a lot of electronics involved in these.

Wonder what would be involved with the P2/Pixad8/P12 etc being adapted to have a second port, to allow daisy-chaining of ethernet.. A bit like many IP phones that offer this facility (to save you having to run 2 cat5 to each desk)

Or what about a 3-port switch on a basic PCB - surely there'd only be a few dollars of parts involved?
You would have to re-inject power at the 2nd or daisy chained port to allow the data signal(s) to be re-transmitted. That is why even dumb switches are powered. Since the cost of dumb switches are so low (as you pointed out), I think it is just easier to use the KISS (keep it simple, stupid - no offense) method and just let the dumb switch do it's simple thing (plug in and forget) rather than having to deal with re-powering the daisy chain port and have yet another power feed coming into your E1.31 controllers.