DC Switched Mode Power Supplies

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Making a switch from AC to DC to run your low voltage christmas lights then a SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) is definately in your future.

I have multiple 350w SMPS's in both 27v and 48v ratings. These were all purchased from ebay and have proved reliable. I will admit to buying a spare for each voltage rating, just in case.
Just do a search for "meanwell" and you will find many 350w ones to buy.
They can be found with the following outputs, 12v, 24v, 27v and 48v easily. these cover nearly all the requirements.

All of the ones i have are fan cooled and should be quite happy running at 100% load.

The only limitation with the SMPS's above is they cannot be connected in parallel if you need more current to a single controller. Due to the high cost of new 600w and greater supplies it's often just as cost effective to split the lights onto more controllers.

Cheers
Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Im looking at getting a few 12vdc 350watt PSU from China through aliexpress, price is good and ive talked to others that have bought them and say they worked well.
How much are you paying for the meanwell?

heres the link to the 12VDC 350w PSU
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209855560-289599951/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved.html

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Eddy
i've read that a few people have bought from ray wu's so that's positive.
There is a disconnect between the model number "Model Number: S-200W " and the description of 350w. The model number on every smps from china seems to have the power rating as the number. ie S-200 = 200W, S-350 = 350W

I would clarify with the vendor that it is a 350W one you will be buying, if it is, then the price is good.

This looks like a "Meanwell" based on the logo i can nearly make out.... hey it's cheap easy to afford a spare

From ebay i was averaging around US$54 last year inc shipping, the factory ex price was around $28 but could never get a good shipping rate.

cheers
Phil
btw - after looking around ray wu's you have cost me money and brought forward a project from next year, not sure i will get it done but parts are now ordered :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You didnt go and buy that 150 watt LED spot light, that looked impressive, equivalent to a 750 watt metal halide. He has lots of goodies and is growing. I talked to him when he first started and he seemed above board. Ill be getting a few things from him. At the moment he has for sale SMD 5050 RGB for 6 cents a piece, thats got to be wrong
take a look.

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209888996-303716666/5050-SMD-RGB-LED-with-60mA-Forward-Current-and-Reflow-Soldering-Technique.html

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Yeah i already spotted them, but the shipping adds up real fast. All leds are graded for quality and as he also has ones at .13c I'm going guess which bin the 6c ones are from. I'm very happy with the ones i get even if they are more expensive.

no, i bought some 3w RGB's to start work on my flood light design :)

Cheers
Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
AussiePhil said:
Eddy
i've read that a few people have bought from ray wu's so that's positive.
There is a disconnect between the model number "Model Number: S-200W " and the description of 350w. The model number on every smps from china seems to have the power rating as the number. ie S-200 = 200W, S-350 = 350W

I would clarify with the vendor that it is a 350W one you will be buying, if it is, then the price is good.

This looks like a "Meanwell" based on the logo i can nearly make out.... hey it's cheap easy to afford a spare

From ebay i was averaging around US$54 last year inc shipping, the factory ex price was around $28 but could never get a good shipping rate.

He has the same part number on the 200 watt units as the 350 watt units, as with many chinese vendors their details are not the best and you have to ask for more details before you order.

Ive noticed those 3 watt RGBs and a my mind started ticking over, you will have to keep me informed on how bright they are.

dmoore

Senior elf
fasteddy said:
heres the link to the 12VDC 350w PSU
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209855560-289599951/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-12V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved.html

I purchased from Ray Wu at AliExpress and it was less than 8 days from payment to receipt of the items - all exactly as I ordered. I've also ordered from Snowball but I DO NOT recommend paying them via paypal, go only through the AliExpress payment so you can hold them to it if they ship something that isn't as described (sometimes the case).

Thanks,
David

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Tonight i ordered 5 x 12VDC transformer from Ray Wu's store for a total of US$128.56 delivered. I had a good long talk to Ray, he is extremely helpful and sends data sheets and price lists when requested. Proof is in the product, so if the product is good then Rays prices are amongst the best with great service. He believes i shall have them by the end of the week, ill give them a burn in test and then post my opinions.

dmoore

Senior elf
fasteddy said:
Tonight i ordered 5 x 12VDC transformer from Ray Wu's store for a total of US$128.56 delivered. I had a good long talk to Ray, he is extremely helpful and sends data sheets and price lists when requested. Proof is in the product, so if the product is good then Rays prices are amongst the best with great service. He believes i shall have them by the end of the week, ill give them a burn in test and then post my opinions.

I only conversed with him in email - does he speak pretty good english? I'm wondering if he can source some items I've been getting from another vendor that is slower to ship and respond.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
dmoore said:
fasteddy said:

I only conversed with him in email - does he speak pretty good english? I'm wondering if he can source some items I've been getting from another vendor that is slower to ship and respond.

When your at Rays aliexpress site at the bottom you can see when Ray is online, click on this icon and then you can connect to a personal chat room to him and then type in your messages, you can request data sheets and ask him questions, he will send requested info immediatly while you chat. So i dint talk to him verbally but had a live chat session with him and found him to be extremely helpful, if your intersested in other products start up a chat with him and he will help you.

dmoore

Senior elf
I wanted to follow up to this discussion about some water proof power supplies I ordered from Ray Wu. Here is what I ordered:

120v in (90-250) and 12v/45W output
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209855560-301813985/waterproof-switch-mode-power-supply-90-250VAC-input-12V-45W-output-P-N-NV1245C.html

120v in (90-250) and 12v/36W output
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209855560-301813749/waterproof-switch-mode-power-supply-90-250VAC-input-12V-36W-output-P-N-NV1236C.html

I've tested both of these and they work great. They are really small and appear to be 100% sealed. These are great if you will be putting them outside at the point of lights. Cheap too.