Dead controller

David_K

Full time elf
Hi Everyone

My Ray Wu controllers have power going in they receive a dmx signal, yet there is no power at the light terminals and I dont know why. I had them powered up with a ray wu 350 watt power supply while I was doing something yesterday and when I added some lights last night I discovered they are now like this. There does not seem to be any type of fuse to protect the light output circuits. Can anyone tell me why this might have happy, very disspointed let me tell you. :-[ :'(

David_K

Full time elf
I forgot to mentioned when I had them powered up there were no lights connected to the boards.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Not enough information yet. You'll need to detail exactly what controllers they are and how you've connected them up. Pictures will help too. :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Assuming that it is 1 of the 27 channel Ray boards (I get myself into all sorts of problems with my assumptions by the way) there's a few things to check. Firstly if you turn on the function dipswitch does the test mode run and the lights flash. If they do then when the switch is off again does the red data/power led flash to indicate that there is dmx data being received. If both of these are all good (and assuming my first assumption was right) then is the start address set to what it is meant to be/was. If all of these checks work out then it's possibly a setting at the sequencer end of the loop. Light output may not be enabled in lor/lsp/etc.

David_K

Full time elf
ok guys thanks for the replies, they are ray wu 27 channel boards, they were both connected to a ray wu 350-24 power supply, the red light does come on both boards and they both flash when the data cable is connected. When I run the function test nothing happens on either boards. The lights flash regardless as to whether the dip switch is on or off. The reason the boards were powered up was because I was using the power supply to test a set of lights directly from the power supply that was connected to the boards but I am not sure how that would affect the boards. No lights were connected to the boards when I did this. The boards were working on the weekend when I was testing them and LSP. Hope this helps but I think I am knackered.

David_K

Full time elf
When I said the lights flash whether the dip switch is on or off I meant the red power lights, there is no power on
the light outputs.

AAH

Are any of the lights attached to the boards working and if you connect the lights straight up to the power are they working. I'm guessing that they are leds lights and if they are then are you certain that they are the right polarity. If you happen to have blown the mosfets which I would hope that you haven't as they are very substantial ones then i have plenty of them here that are available.

David_K

Full time elf
When I attached the lights to the boards only one channel worked on one board and I dont think there were any working on the other board. But after working on the problem for some time last night the working channel stopped as well. I have checked the polarity and they are all working fine in that sense. If the mosfets are the transistor looking items that run along each channel I have a feeling you are right.

When they were working on the weekend I accidently touched one of the transistor things next to the channel screws and it shorted it still worked but now you can do that to all of them and there is nothing. I just want to thank you guys for your help and input it is a great forum and I love this animated christmas light hobby, this is the first year I have tried to get it up and running and I appreciate the help. If I can buy these mosfets then I am able to replace them providing the costs does not outweigh the cost of the controller. I have purchased the last 48 channel AVD controller they had just in case this morning but if I can salvage these controllers that would be great. I dont understand why it has happened. Would a surge or a short somewhere cause this to happen?

AAH

A short is probably the easiest way to kill the mosfets. The ones used on the 27 channel boards are capable of handling about 5 amps continous so unless you had about 1 kilometre of led lights on each channel you shouldn't exceed the current rating. The mosfets are 40c each if you're wanting any. If your soldering skills aren't up to the job then send me a PM or catch me in chat and I can fix the board/s up for you at special Christmas rates.