Delay PSU's

Matt Smith

New elf
Hi there,
Got a quirky idea I'm hoping will work. From my calculations so far it seems if I use 1.5mm cable with an 8A load i can only go about 10 metres before I lose too much voltage. (Feeding back in forward 4 Amps)

What I'm hoping to do is run a "delay" psu which essentially has
A long 10-30m 2 core cable with ground and signal from advatek to the strip (WS2812B so no clock line)
And then a psu on a seperate power point and run an extension cord to it to power inject that led strip

Is this possible? I can draw a diagram if it's not clear.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You can just run the ground and the data from the advatek controller and then inject the power at the lights using a different power supply.
You do need to ensure your ground is connected between the ground from the advatek controller and the ground from the power supply for the strip

Matt Smith

New elf
Thanks very much Eddy,

For anyone that reads this in the future. I was able to get clean stable signal from running 20-30 metres of Microphone cable (Twin and Shield) from the advatek 16 mk2 to a "delay" psu and then power injecting. I'm unsure what kind of pressure this puts on the advatek outputs but at least I know it works.

Wiring method (LED Strip End)
12v - Just from "delay" psu on seperate power connection
Gnd - From Advatek (Gnd) AND the "delay" psu (12v-)
Signal From Advatek (Pin3 only tested with WS2812B nothing with clock)

Works a treat!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
It actually great that you can get 20 to 30 metres for the data signal as normally most are pushing to get 10 metres before having to use a Null pixel to boost up the signal again. I think its because you are using a microphone cable that is allowing you to get this extra distance