Diagnosing jerky output

whatthej

New elf
Hi all, I have a basic setup and sequence. 1 circle, 241 pixels and say sequence is 2-3 layered 'single strand' effects.
It intermittently gets very jerky movements. The model/house preview on xLights is perfectly smooth. How do I diagnose whether it's my network output or if there is some output lag in my system?

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Are you outputting to lights from the xLights editor?
Concentrate on the preview, once happy save the .fseq and use xScheduler to play back.

If it's still flickering it's probably a lose wire from the pixel controller to the strings.
After that I would then look at network. Particularly a WiFi controllers signal.

whatthej

New elf
Apologies for the late late response. It took a while for some stuff to reach me before I could do further tests!

I did your suggestion for fseq and it fared a little better. Here's the latest update
  • Set up a separate router and both the PC and Wemos running ESPixelstick are on WiFi
  • Running a 20ms sequence from xLights directly with only the 1 display on a chase pattern, I get perfectly good latency
  • Running a 40ms sequence from xLights directly with a bunch of other displays on 'null' in the network setup, there is some jittering
  • Ditto with xSchedule
What else can I test?

keithsw1111

Senior elf
There are a number of reasons why this might happen that is best resolved in a zoom session. Pop in tonight’s after 8pm Sydney time and ask the room. Someone is bound to be able to help.

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
There are a number of reasons why this might happen that is best resolved in a zoom session. Pop in tonight’s after 8pm Sydney time and ask the room. Someone is bound to be able to help.

Keith. I’ve never been on a zoom. Is that at xlights?