Diffused look for roof strips, advice on plastic

Hello all... I am looking at changing my roof/eaves strips to look like my leaping arches.

Due to LDPE coming in a roll, straight lengths will be hard to achieve.

I have contacted a few Chinese manufacturers and are possibly looking at semi-translucent milky white Polycarbonate tubing to do the job.

Does anyone know if polycarb tubing would be suitable for such a job? I have only ever dealt with polycarb in sheet form.

Many thanks

Jay.S

Full time elf
I don't know that this is helpful, but I have 2 sets of strips in tube because I like the diffused look. I ordered it from Paul. He had to replace one because it came from the factory with a break in a solder joint. I had a bit of a play with the defective strip's tubing and have to say that I would probably not try and use that for any project requiring long runs. It's fairly tricky to get the strip in and out of the tubing. This is what I have:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4m-...erproof-in-silicon-tube-with/32762790243.html

ElSalZi

Full time elf
https://www.bunnings.com.au/suntuf-3-0m-x-8mm-clear-sunlite-polycarbonate-end-cap_p1010480
I use these to put my strips up... Maybe something like this could help with a small piece of semi translucent foam inserted as well????? Not sure... Ideally would have an endcap that is the same as LDPE... but I haven't found those yet...
Just looking at the range of SunTuf materials, I used to sell the Acrylic roof sheeting thru Onesteel. They have a lifetime warranty so can definitely handle the Australian Sun!
The level of diffusion would be and issue but you could buy a roof sheet and cut it into the widths/ lengths that you'd need and add some coreflute (diffusion) or perhaps get a denser sheet that allows less light to go thru... just a thought.

Alternatively, to flatten the coiled LDPE tube (arches) insert a rod or a small lattice of rods (like a ladder effect - welded or brazed) to which you could cable tie your light strip. Added benefit is easy removal of lights when/if they need replacing or repairing...

Jay.S

Full time elf
Ideally would have an endcap that is the same as LDPE... but I haven't found those yet...
I used to work for Stramit Buildings and so I contacted one of their re-sellers I am still friendly with. He told me that he has only seen that end cap stuff in translucent or gray...

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
A quick google search finds this information

Is polycarbonate UV stable?
Standard Polycarbonate resins are not suitable for long term exposure to UV radiation. To overcome this the primary resin can have UV Stabilisers added. ... Other applications including Polycarbonate sheet may have the anti-UV layer added as a special coating or a coextrusion for enhanced weathering resistance

Also check out the Polycarbonate WIKI for further info on polycarbonate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate

Just looking at the range of SunTuf materials, I used to sell the Acrylic roof sheeting thru Onesteel. They have a lifetime warranty so can definitely handle the Australian Sun!
The level of diffusion would be and issue but you could buy a roof sheet and cut it into the widths/ lengths that you'd need and add some coreflute (diffusion) or perhaps get a denser sheet that allows less light to go thru... just a thought.

Alternatively, to flatten the coiled LDPE tube (arches) insert a rod or a small lattice of rods (like a ladder effect - welded or brazed) to which you could cable tie your light strip. Added benefit is easy removal of lights when/if they need replacing or repairing...
Never thought of adding some corflute to diffuse... Great idea! Thanks